Legal weapons

robdobbs1983

10 guage or smaller... Nontoxic... I know. Why not archery equipment or airguns. Is there something i missed do they have to be airborne? How about archery equipment, slingshots, and airguns. Seem to be viable optionsb for Resident nuisance geese. All offer non toxic projectiles. Understand not a great option for a beginner, but why outright illegal for everyone?

The regs are based on federal regulations. States adopt and reprint the regulations in state regs. Waterfowl regulations are old and come from the days when of market hunting. Waterfowl laws are governed by treaty with other country’s. Federal games wardens enforce waterfowl regulations as do state game wardens. A conviction on violating waterfowl laws and regulations in state court can be also considered a conviction of federal laws , U.S code. In other words to change regulations to what you want would take an act of Congress. Regulations could be amended but they will not be. As far as non toxic shot was the last big change to waterfowl regs and laws. Unlike allot of your waterfowl hunters I have shot lead shells at ducks and geese. 1989 was the last year if I remember correctly.

No the birds do not have to be in the air when you shoot them. The term is Walter swat. Most hunters feel that it is unethical to shot birds on the water unless they are cripples

Why out right illegal. Because it’s the law. Air gun although not a fire arm is a rifle. The barrele has rifling

UncleBuzz

Most states allowed archery for waterfowl. I'm kind of surprised GA doesn't. I've had property owners in other states that wanted me to kill resident geese off their ponds bad but didn't have legal shotgun distance to the next house(wasn't safe even though the neighbor gave permission also). Bow was the way to a few limits of stubborn birds

robdobbs1983

You can use collies or shepherds to harass them legally. Messy situation. Nuisance animals versus nuisance killers, versus incompetent Jo's.

35 Whelen

Regulation booklet, page 12:

ARCHERY EQUIPMENT Crossbows, longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows are allowed for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead type.

ryanh487

ARCHERY EQUIPMENT Crossbows, longbows, recurve bows, and compound bows are allowed for hunting any game or feral hog. Arrows for hunting deer, bear or feral hog must be broadhead type.

This.

Actually saw an episode of a hunting show where the guy set up this big ground blind in a patch of trees in the middle of a pasture with decoys all around him and was shooting snow geese with his bow as they landed. Looked like a ton of fun! They would usually only land for a second before realizing what was up and take back off, so it was pretty fast action.

Your wrong , Read the summary of Federal regulations for migratory game birds listed in the Georgia waterfowl regs. Federal Regs. can be found in title 50, code of Federal Regulation, part 20.

Last edited:

LIB MR ducks

Your wrong , Read the summary of Federal regulations for migratory game birds listed in the Georgia waterfowl regs. Federal Regs. can be found in title 50, code of Federal Regulation, part 20.

Actually you are wrong. Archery is not expressly prohibited so it is legal.

§20.21 What hunting methods are illegal?
Migratory birds on which open seasons are prescribed in this part may be taken by any method except those prohibited in this section. No persons shall take migratory game birds:
(a) With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
(b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
So a sling shot IS good for sumpin.:clap:

Scratch that still worthless in Ga.

Change that law!!!

Last edited:
No I did not say that. At one time it was not. Regs change. I hunt with a gun. I recommend that before you hunt with something you check with the game warden and if you read his post.
“ARCHERY EQUIPMENT.

Some of these weapons referenced here are not leagal for waterfowl .
Did I not post where to find what was legal for waterfowl hunting. I didn’t say anything about that a bow was illegal. What I meant was that you can not go by the regulations that are posted for other game .
All Im going to say is that you better check the regs and I mean the Federal and state regs where ever you hunt. Legal weapons are listed in the Federal Migratory bird hunting regulations. If you dont hunt waterfowl you can not apply the state regulation that covers other game to waterfowl hunting if it is not allowed in the federal regulation. Its just like legal shooting times . You can hunt most game 30 minutes after sunset. You can not hunt waterfowl 30
minutes after sunset. Sundown is when you stop. Good luck!

DRBugman85

The regs are based on federal regulations. States adopt and reprint the regulations in state regs. Waterfowl regulations are old and come from the days when of market hunting. Waterfowl laws are governed by treaty with other country’s. Federal games wardens enforce waterfowl regulations as do state game wardens. A conviction on violating waterfowl laws and regulations in state court can be also considered a conviction of federal laws , U.S code. In other words to change regulations to what you want would take an act of Congress. Regulations could be amended but they will not be. As far as non toxic shot was the last big change to waterfowl regs and laws. Unlike allot of your waterfowl hunters I have shot lead shells at ducks and geese. 1989 was the last year if I remember correctly.
No Lead shot for waterfowl was implemented 1987-88 waterfowl season( except for 16 and 20 gauge)then in 1989-90 waterfowl season ALL lead shot was band for waterfowl hunting. Killer and I shot RELOADED lead shotshells until the band was implemented and the first steel shotshells were JUNK it would knock ducks down over the decoys at 30-35 yards and took 3 - 5 water swats to kill them.Now with all the shotshell Technologies steel shot kills them dead.Killer those were the days lead shot and no Duck COMMANDERS swarming the marsh with no respect for other people.

across the river

Actually you are wrong. Archery is not expressly prohibited so it is legal.

§20.21 What hunting methods are illegal?
Migratory birds on which open seasons are prescribed in this part may be taken by any method except those prohibited in this section. No persons shall take migratory game birds:
(a) With a trap, snare, net, rifle, pistol, swivel gun, shotgun larger than 10 gauge, punt gun, battery gun, machinegun, fish hook, poison, drug, explosive, or stupefying substance;
(b) With a shotgun of any description capable of holding more than three shells, unless it is plugged with a one-piece filler, incapable of removal without disassembling the gun, so its total capacity does not exceed three shells.

Sweet. I'll
So a sling shot IS good for sumpin.:clap:

Scratch that still worthless in Ga.

Change that law!!!

I've been working on a laser I'm going to try this year. No sound, no plug limit on the number of shots. Laser's aren't prohibited, so I'm good. You just let them land and pick them off. One lands out in the middle of the pond, boom, or should I say pew, pew, and the laser gets hims. Easy limits.