" Leon's Turkey Caller"

jestersmark

I recently purchased a " Leon's Turkey Caller " in excellent condition but of course the latex is long gone. Anybody know what replacement material I can use and the dimensions? A pic of the installation would be a big help too.

Gaswamp

Herb will know all about that call as he has used one for years. You can buy replacement latex from Midwest Turkey Supply

jestersmark

OK. Thanks for the info.

jestersmark

I talked to Midwest. They told me they have latex for tube calls and they can cut a piece if I can get the dimensions. Not sure how to measure since I've never seen it installed. Any ideas would be appreciated.

turkeykirk

Here is the info that came with the caller over 40 years ago. Hope you can read it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 784

jestersmark

Thanks guys. I sent Mr. McClure a PM.

herb mcclure

Leon's Turkey Cller

This post is not meant to confuse the subject of replacing a rubber band on a Leon's Johenning's turkey caller, which the instructions from Johenning have already been submitted.

My only reason for making this post is to shead some light about the caller, and my set up.

Personally, I don't set-up my Leon's caller the way he originally designed it to be. Here's why. He designed the caller to have two rubber bands, one on top of the other, with the bottom band slightly longer than the top rubber band.The two rubber membranes acted as one and vibrated, when air was inhaled inward, (yes one inhales when using a Leon's caller). Saliva, from repeated calling causes the two membranes to stick together and become one thick membrane, which is too thick for good calling. Leon suggested, to use a thin wedge between the two membranes and let them dry apart.After years of carrying extra callers to have one that was right; I decided to go to only one rubber membrane and do away with the pins that held the two membranes. Then tape the single membrane on both sides where the pins had been. Course the tension and placement has to be right. Tape the back part of the rubber across the part where it is held.

I cannot download photo, or a hunting story to this forum; I don't know how. Always have had to get someone to do it for me. However, I can attach a photo to a personal email.

Here's my two-cents about Leon's turkey caller. This must be the most difficult caller to learn to use there is. How many people do you know that can uses one, or that does use one; not very many; I bet. Keeping the caller in calling condition is probably why. Those that know me and know of the woods where I have done almost all of my hunting, know there are very few turkeys there, or have ever been there. This is not to say that I am a good turkey caller; especially not in as good of a class, as most of you are.

However, I have seen over 200 turkey gobblers killed; all called with Leon's caller. Now before you jump to conclusions, I did not kill most of them, no sir, I have never been one to have to make all the kills. Another Leon's caller that I hunted with, did his part calling and harvesting too.

There's something about the inhaling of a call that makes a turkey sound, which turkeys like; wing bones and trumpets users can vouch. That's what Johenning learned from being a sound expert when in the navy, and put it to knowledge when designing a turkey call.

His little booklet: ; THE TURKEY HUNTERS GUIDE: IS THE BEST TURKEY BOOK , I EVER READ; IT'S ALL TURKEY AND NO BULL.

herb mcclure

jestersmark

Thanks for the insight Mr McClure. The call is a Christmas gift for my father-in-law. He's in his eighties now and does most of his calling from his armchair now other than a once a year trek to Piedmont. He's enjoyed your books and shared your concerns for the mountain flora and fauna. He's even planted a hybrid chestnut tree in his front yard. 25 ft. And doing well. Thought I'd let him hold the call he's read about, hopefully in working order if I can figure it out!

Killer Kyle

I have been looking for one of these! You've got a fine piece of history there jestermark! If you don't mind my asking, what was the price on the caller?

jestersmark

I just watched ebay for a while till I saw one come up in decent condition. Ended up bidding $47.50. I've seen them go for less and more. Mine is late 60's to early 70's model in new condition. Don't think it's ever been used. Hopefully have the latex intalled and working by the holidays with a few pointers from Mr. McClure.

M Sharpe

I wouldn't mind adding one of those to my collection either. I need to keep my eyes peeled too.