Let’s Get it started. 2018 Acorn Report

GTHunter

I made a trip up yesterday and noticed what confirms most of the reports so far. Not many acorns up high, with the ones I found being runty and the only good acorns I found were lower at around 2000-2500.

Bowhunter77

The annual hillbilly migration from Kentucky to north Georgia bear woods will be the first week october. Hope some are still on the tree by then.

jbogg

The annual hillbilly migration from Kentucky to north Georgia bear woods will be the first week october. Hope some are still on the tree by then.

Welcome back Kentucky brothers! Should be a great year. October should be a great time to be in the woods. They will be feeding like crazy. I am seeing a lot of bears this year.

Rabun

Scouted low this weekend...around 1900'. White oaks were scarce and small when found. Reds were sporadic, but found decent water oaks.

jbogg

Very few whites from what I have seen recently. This morning I found a fair number of red oaks that have aborted their acorns as well. It’s shaping up to be one of those years when if you can find a good stand of acorns you should be in the bears. But finding them is easier said than done. 380D9757-2A29-4167-B5A6-F443C70D55CC.jpeg

Killer Kyle

After looking and glassing over the last several days, I can attest that my findings are much in line with what you all are finding here. From lower elevations to higher ones, I've hardly found any white oaks with acorns at all. Haven't even found many northern red oaks with acorns. I've found a few scarlet oaks up high that were loaded, and I found several southern red oaks down low that were loaded. By and large, the crop seems much more sparse than in recent years. I'll be out looking again this afternoon and tomorrow afternoon, and I'll be glassing some more just to see what I can see.

In the picture below, you can see what I observed a few days ago while scouting a lower spot in White County around 1,600' or so. The acorns depicted are from a mature white oak (acorns on left), and a mature red oak (acorns on right). These trees were growing side by side. The red oak already had fully developed acorns trickling down, and squirrels were cutting them down also. The ground beneath the white oak was littered with seemingly thousands of under-developed and prematurely aborted acorns. I observed this over and over while walking down the road. It will be interesting to see over the next several weeks how all of this turns out!

2ptyw44.jpg

Timberman

Spent yesterday 2800 and up. Very few acorns. Only found a few white oaks that squirrels where cutting. Zero reds that I could see. We did find two yellow jacket nests that had been freshly dug up.

Dsherrer711

Anybody else seen acorns like these? Found them on some white oaks in Gilmer county. I don’t know if they are just aborted or underdeveloped like the ones Killer Kyle mentioned above.. but they didn’t have any caps growing and were much softer almost like berries. Clearly growing on a white oak stem though, and they were all over the tree.

Attachments

• A44ECE5F-C317-4699-89E8-FB5D126F9474.jpeg
    A44ECE5F-C317-4699-89E8-FB5D126F9474.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 39
  • 13B151BA-7154-4341-AE00-C4AA5B843AE6.jpeg
    13B151BA-7154-4341-AE00-C4AA5B843AE6.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 39

Killer Kyle

I actually saw alot of galls when I was out looking the other day, but most of the ones I found were on red oaks and they were larger than that.

goshenmountainman

Been to five or six different places from 1800-2900 ft. very few whites, not very big, and the trees that have the most don't seem to have all that many. The reds are random one will have a good many and you may walk a mile with none then another shows up with a few. No mountain oak, chesnut oak at any place I have been. Only loaded white oaks I have seen have been around our hay fields and they don't have as many as in the past years. Have seen 9 bear in the last two weeks and I hope everyone out there shoots at least one bear each, I am convinced that the bear are killing all our fawns, had nine fawns right around the house here back in the summer and now only three left, about a month ago bears just flooded the whole community and the fawns have disappeared, everyone I know has seen bears or had trouble with them getting into feed and everything they can smell. So if you see a bear please shoot it!!! Let the doe deer go and shoot all the bears....

The mtn man

Anybody else seen acorns like these? Found them on some white oaks in Gilmer county. I don’t know if they are just aborted or underdeveloped like the ones Killer Kyle mentioned above.. but they didn’t have any caps growing and were much softer almost like berries. Clearly growing on a white oak stem though, and they were all over the tree.
Yep, those are oak galls, a wasp will come out of that.

goshenmountainman

Saw two more bear since Sunday, both about 200 pounds, one in Hollywood and the other on Hwy. 76 near turkey gap, kill'em all guys, they over-populated..

Rabun

If season was open this last weekend, I would have stuck one....very close. Hope to see him next weekend again...I'll be ready. I did see my first deer in quite some time...no horns though.

Killer Kyle

I rode up on Chattahoochee with a friend last week and looked for hours. In the stretch of road that we checked, there were no white oaks producing. We saw ONE chestnut oak acorn tree and that was it for the chestnut oaks. We found the majority of acorns on scarlet oaks, and some on scattered southern reds and northern reds. Looking like it is going to be a red oak game this year.

Last edited: