Let’s Get it started. 2018 Acorn Report

goshenmountainman

Finally found about six chesnut oaks, loaded and dropping. Lots of bear sign there and a few deer tracks. It was down low around 1800 and thats the only chesnut oak acorns I have found..

jbogg

Finally found about six chesnut oaks, loaded and dropping. Lots of bear sign there and a few deer tracks. It was down low around 1800 and thats the only chesnut oak acorns I have found..

You should be in good shape for the opener. They have been hard to find.

CornStalker

Well a bear showed up at 7:08 am, and took a china made rage through the lungs, didn't even have time to see a deer!

Gosh, were you hunting one specific tree or a cluster? Pics of bear? Congrats!

Ghost G

goshenmountainman

It was a group of chesnut oak, about six that have small acorns for a chesnut. I walked in to my spot, I recently had surgery so I can't climb a tree, and used my millenium tree seat. Strapped it on the tree, got ready and after daylight broke I had squirrels all around me. They started barking down the holler below me and I finally saw what they were barking at, it was on a string to the acorns that were all in front of me, got to about 24 yds. I drew and released, arrow double lunged it, went about 30 yds, stopped and fell over. For some reason I can't get pic to load, bear weighed about 125lbs. Just right for the grill. Took my son back Saturday evening and another one came in and he missed it, just a little under its arm pit. One of my friends shot one this morning, hit a little high and we tracked it about 3/4 mile and lost blood. The bolt went just a little under the back bone and was sticking out both sides. So was a pretty good weekend for all of us.

Rabun

Congratulations on bagging that bear! Sounds like you are in a great spot and will be going back there no doubt. Looking forward to seeing some pics also. How was his coat?

goshenmountainman

It had a terrible coat, missing hair and wadded up spots on it, its two different spots, my son missed his at the same spot and my friend was about 1-1/2 away.

Rabun

Sorry about the coat, but he'll eat good. Congratulations and hope you get a couple more....thin'em out (y)

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
found 2 white oaks dropping between 1800 and 2000. No sign of climbing???

goshenmountainman

Rage knock offs from china, and yes hole on other side is nasty just like the side you can see. I have been shooting them for about three years or so, everything I have shot has had the same damage, I originally bought about 6 for 12 dollars and tried them out. Now I have about 80 total for my son and myself, should be set for a year or three,lol!

GTHunter

Congrats on the bear @goshenmountainman. I've only found one chestnut that is lightly producing, but I walk past a bunch of reds that are raining on my way in. The road is littered with acorns caps, which I assume are from squirrels since this is on a forest service road, but is there anyway to tell what critter ate the acorn by looking at the part not eaten? I did spook a big animal that I thought sounded like a bear just up the mountain from these reds.

Last edited:

Christian hughey

Congrats on the bear @goshenmountainman. I've only found one chestnut that is lightly producing, but I walk past a bunch of reds that are raining on my way in. The road is littered with acorns caps, which I assume are from squirrels since this is on a forest service road, but is there anyway to tell what critter at the acorn? I did spook a big animal that I thought sounded like a bear just up the mountain from these reds.
One thing I have noticed, no bear expert at all but I noticed a good bit of scat under producing whiteoaks and got a shot on a big boar that I learned was a little far forward and the animal was not recovered. Found more sign of hogs and deer in the bottoms. Bear up on the leads around 2000 ft. Good luck. Looks like plenty to go around this year!

goshenmountainman

Bears almost always spit the hulls out, they will usually be split and sometimes you can see where the teeth make prints on them, the scat will usually look a light grey in color when they on the acorns and the lighter the color the more fresh, if you rake through it with a stick it looks grainy, kinda like grits. If you find some that has a little liquid on the top, you better get to looking around cause he ain't far off. I have seen oaks that the ground under them was completely covered in discarded acorn hulls and usually fresh scat.