Leupold vx freedom or Redfield revolution

Easygo

Which is the better scope? It’s hard for me to find conclusive evidence that they are not the exact same coatings and lenses , just in different dresses. Any solid info is appreciated.

Buckman18

Leupoold owns Redfield. I'd buy the cheaper of the two, and I'm betting you'll never know the difference.

Kind of like the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra. Mechanically identical and roll down the same assembly line.

Easygo

Right, I knew redfield was owned by Leupold , I was just trying to see if anyone knew for 100% if one had an edge over the other, if so what is the edge

lonewolf247

I really can't answer if it's the same scope or not. If it were me, I'd do what I always do when I'm not sure which scope to buy. I'd go somewhere who sells both and do a side by side comparison, and let my eyes decide.

I will add this though... Redfield is an old company who was basically phased out, and bought out by Leupold. That being said, the old original Redfield Widefield, Illuminators, etc, are old Redfield models, that were outstanding scopes, in their time, but are no longer covered by any warranties, since the take over of Leupold. So, if Leupold decides to drop the Redfiled line of scopes, at some point, once again, those new Redfield scopes will not be covered.

All of that being said, if the scopes are similar, I'd go with the Leupold brand.:)

walters

I just went threw this between a luepold freedom or Nikon Prostaff, I favor Leopold but the freedom was not as clear and the dial was cheap made, went with Nikon. Same price

RootConservative

I really can't answer if it's the same scope or not. If it were me, I'd do what I always do when I'm not sure which scope to buy. I'd go somewhere who sells both and do a side by side comparison, and let my eyes decide.

I will add this though... Redfield is an old company who was basically phased out, and bought out by Leupold. That being said, the old original Redfield Widefield, Illuminators, etc, are old Redfield models, that were outstanding scopes, in their time, but are no longer covered by any warranties, since the take over of Leupold. So, if Leupold decides to drop the Redfiled line of scopes, at some point, once again, those new Redfield scopes will not be covered.

All of that being said, if the scopes are similar, I'd go with the Leupold brand.:)
^^^ This

Dennis

I have a new Leupold VX3 in 3.5 x 10 x 40 and I have a new Redfield revolution 4x12x40 there is very little difference between the 2 except the Redfield cost less

With scopes at a similar price break, I've used SXS low light comparisons to make most of my decisions. The biggest differences in such scopes is normally in the lens coatings a particular scope has.

I've had the new Redfield and VX1 in such a comparison and the Redfield moved on. I have had several Nikon Prostaffs as well, but now prefer Leupold when I purchase.

FWIW, I now own scopes from Bushnell, Burris, Hawke, Leopld, Minox, Nikon, Redfield, Sig Sauer, Vortex, Weaver and Zeiss.

JustinR06

Never used one of the leupolds but I have a 3x9x50 redfield revolution on my Remington 700 and love it. Super clear,doesnt fog up and holds a zero. I sighted it in once when I first bought it 8 years ago and the caps haven't been taken off since and it hasn't had the easiest life. Would buy another without a second thought.

Easygo

With scopes at a similar price break, I've used SXS low light comparisons to make most of my decisions. The biggest differences in such scopes is normally in the lens coatings a particular scope has.

I've had the new Redfield and VX1 in such a comparison and the Redfield moved on. I have had several Nikon Prostaffs as well, but now prefer Leupold when I purchase.

FWIW, I now own scopes from Bushnell, Burris, Hawke, Leopld, Minox, Nikon, Redfield, Sig Sauer, Vortex, Weaver and Zeiss.
When you say the redfield moved on, do mean it went ahead of your vx1 or you got rid of it?

Robert28

From my research the Redfields don’t cost that much less than the Freedom scopes do now. There’s used to be a substantial difference in price but when I looked they were very close in price.

biggdogg

I have a 4-12x40 Redfield Revolution on my sons .243 and a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 on my daughters 7mm-08. The only discernible difference that I can tell is that the Redfield adjustment knobs are noticeably spongy where the Leupold knobs aren't. Other than that, they're both fine scopes. I honestly can't say that there is any difference when looking through either of them.

ribber

I have a Redfield Revolution on my .270 and love it. In fact, I plan to replace the Vortex on my daughter's Creedmor with a Redfield before next season.
Granted I've never owned a high-end scope, but my Redfield has been superb.

Buckhead

After finding a ridiculous good deal, just bought a 2x7x33 Freedom. Bought it blind without comparing to other scopes. Needed a compact lightweight scope with lots of eye relief. The Leupold 2x7 and 2.5x8 had the best specs. Figured I could use it on another rifle or sell if it didn’t work on intended gun.

I am very impressed with this scope. I say that without consideration to cost. Bright and clear, edge to edge. Compares favorably to some of my more expensive scopes. Worked perfectly on my Ruger International.

Used to own nothing but Leupolds. Mostly Vari X IIIs. Been gradually swapping them out. I honestly prefer this 2x7 Freedom to any Leupold I have ever owned. Not sure about the other models, but highly recommend this particular scope.

Blackston

IMG_1077.PNGBought my Freedom and put the first kill in it last week Love it !!!!!

Latest posts