Liability Question

dslc6487

I have a question about how liable I would be if I had hired someone to help me in my yard and with other duties around my house and they got hurt while performing those duties. Specifically, there are several contractors in my area that hire legal immigrants to work for them. These immigrants also work outside of the contracting firm doing odd jobs and duties for other people. I am 72 years old and have some health issues, and, on occasion, I would like to have some help with various duties. Some of my friends have hired some of these immigrants to do work around their house and are well pleased with their work. I need someone on occasion to help me, but I am also concerned about the liability I might be accepting if I hired someone and they got hurt to the point of requiring medical attention. Any advice that you can send my way will be appreciated.

treemanjohn

Banned
You're 100% responsible of what happens two contractors doing work on your property. I would never allow anyone to work on my property unless they had workers compensation and I had a current certificate in hand stating that their insurance approves their work at my home

Unfortunately we have become a litigious society so you know they're coming after you if something happens

dslc6487

Thanks for the responses. I have a 3 million dollar umbrella clause on my insurance policy. So, if I understand everyone, I should be ok...

fairhopebama

I am in Alabama and the laws may differ in your state. I have been in the insurance business for 21 years and when you hire someone to do work for you, they are not covered by your insurance liability on your home. With this being the case, the umbrella is useless because it is an extension of you underlying limits. If an incident is not covered by the underlying policy, the umbrella, being an extension, will not cover.

Artfuldodger

I am in Alabama and the laws may differ in your state. I have been in the insurance business for 21 years and when you hire someone to do work for you, they are not covered by your insurance liability on your home. With this being the case, the umbrella is useless because it is an extension of you underlying limits. If an incident is not covered by the underlying policy, the umbrella, being an extension, will not cover.

What exactly would this mean? If something happened to one of the contractors, they could sue you but your insurance company would not be mandated to cover the liability?

Edit; After reading a bit more, I think that's exactly what it means. Workers aren't guest.

Last edited:

Artfuldodger

Was reading this;
Why Personal Liability & Medical Expenses Insurance Don’t Cover Your Nanny or Gardener

"So if you have a nanny, a babysitter who works consistent hours, or any other employee you hired directly (not through an agency), you may be required to get additional insurance to cover them while they’re working at your house.

This coverage is called workers’ compensation insurance. It works like a combination of personal liability and medical expenses coverage, but for employees who are injured on the job. It’s designed to ensure that employees who are hurt at work don’t have to struggle to pay their medical bills or rehabilitation expenses – and to incentivize employers to create a safe work environment.

Nearly every state requires employers to provide workers’ compensation insurance under certain circumstances. While some states (including Georgia) specifically lift this requirement for household employees, others (like California) explicitly require the coverage for households that employ nannies or long-term babysitters. Regardless of the law, though, experts often recommend carrying workers’ comp anyway to ensure you have access to funds in the event of an injury."

https://www.kin.com/blog/home-insurance-nanny-or-gardener

BeerThirty

What a shame. Can't afford to hire a babysitter anymore since I'm gonna have to get a workers' comp plan...