Like Father, Like Son

olcaptain

Here's a Carp Fishing Tale from 2/17

Like father, like son.....or

Rockin' on the Hooch!

Heredity is a powerful thing. We have all heard that “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree”. As parents, we strive to set positive examples for our children. We hope and pray that the values and beliefs that we hold dear will one day be held as close by our offspring. My guests today were Jerry Howard and his son, Jason. Jerry has represented the DRCFA well in these past days. He has held the banner high. Of course he wanted his son to do the same. Did Jason follow in his dad’s footsteps today? Did the Howard family bloodlines flow with Golden pride? Was the DRCFA scoreboard shattered today by the Howard’s Rockin’ on the Hooch? I thought you’d never ask…………………

The conditions today were less than desirable. Temperatures in the low 50’s. Winds gusting from the NW up to 20 MPH. It just didn’t seem like a great day to go Carpin’. But (change of direction) the Howard’s would not be denied! We settled in behind our bamboo barrier around 3:45 PM and at 4:45 Jerry “I’m the Daddy” Howard started the day with a second place, bar raising, 8lb, 2 oz Golden Ghost! This not only raised the second place standard by well over two pounds but also closed the gap a bit between second place and King Bean!

We had barely recovered from the excitement of Jerry’s "Blues Brothers" moment when at 5:10 PM, Jason “This is how it’s done” Howard’s rod pulled down! It just so happens that Jason's fish beat his Dad’s by exactly one ounce! Was it Nature or Nuture? Is proper Carpin’ hereditary? Who knows? All I know is that a father and son had some fun together today on the banks of the Hooch!

What about the Captain?

As I photographed this unusual sunset……………

I just couldn’t help but wonder how I would have looked today if I had caught a fish …………..

Until next time,

The Ol' Captain

"Be Ye fishers of men....You catch 'em and He will clean 'em."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current 2005 DRCFA Carp Standings as of 3/11/05

1. Lon “Butterbean” Wynn 11 lbs, 08 ozs 1/10/05

2. Jason Howard 8lbs, 03 ozs 2/17/05

3. Jerry Howard 8lbs, 02 ozs 2/17/05

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
Looks like the Howard's know how to spend some quality time together -- I'd bet some good conversation came out of sittin' in those chairs side-by-side all day :)

Lightninrod

Beautiful, well written story young man!

Dan