Lil Help, Please

cocdawg

Does anyone have suggestions for a rod/reel for dock shooting?

More details-it’s for my 12 yo for Christmas. We have a fishing boat and he has a kayak. We’ve had three different people that have showed us some docks on Lanier where they normally catch crappie. Ironically, all three of these people we know from different circles, but all three have mentioned the same docks. My son can easily get to all these docks from his kayak without ever going far from our dock. They all highly recommend him learning to shoot docks between now and spring. BTW-he’s 5’11” and wears a size 13 shoe, so whatever rod adults are using should be fine for him. I’m not wanting to spend a ton but want him to have a decent rod/reel to start practicing with.

littlejon

B 'n' M sharp shooter rod. I paired it with a Pflueger President spinning reel. They sell them at Hammonds. That's a full grown 12 yo

Last edited:

Fullnet2

I catch crappie year round shooting docks and agree with Jon 100%. This outfit will cost around $100 and is well worth the money.
A couple of additional comments that may help your son.

i would suggest the 6930 series reel and 6' rod.

Fill the reel nearly to the top with 4 pound chartreuse Mr.Crappie line .

A drop of Lucite gel super glue will help keep the jig from slipping down the hook.

Also,1/32 or 1/16 weight jigheads seen to work well.

Good luck fishing

littlejon

I use the same size reel and rod as fullnet2. Only difference is he catches crappie and I continue to hunt for them with little success. Spots no problem, crappie another story, lol but I enjoy it

cocdawg

Thanks, guys. This helps a ton!! I’ll see what I kind find. Would Hammonds have all these items? Bass Pro?

RamblinWreck

I prefer the ACC Crappie Stix dock shooter to the BnM. It is 5'6", about the same price. Not sure who carries them; I ordered mine from the website after fishing with a friend's. Put any decent small spinning reel on it loaded with 4 lb line (I have a vintage Mitchell 408 on mine) and fire away.

Fullnet2

Pretty sure Hamnonds has both the rod and reel. The sharpshooter 6 is a 6' one piece rod. For me, anything less than 6' is unacceptable but everyone has an opinion.