Living in Henry County

Deadringer

Good to hear your feedback.

I would look at the school system FIRST. Commute, 2nd.

Do not know your specific situation, so you may or not entertain what I am doing........
SUCKING IT UP WITH TRAFFIC until my boy is out of school. Once that happens, likely I will be selling off my house w/small acreage tract, and extra lot next door, and moving further NORTH in GA. I have entertained So GA, but not familiar with it other than driving thru. I have years to go so it isn't a huge concern at this point.

For sure, its about finding the right mix of land (location) that is close enough to the city but far enough away and having a good school system. We could shell out for private school if we had to, but I'd really prefer not to. The reality is that while we would like to move as soon as possible, we aren't in any huge hurry and can take our time to make the best decision. The question is whether we will ever find that perfect mix of the above. As someone else alluded to above, as Atlanta continues to grow and any remaining land within a reasonable distance to Atlanta becomes more and more scarce (or rather the cost continues to rise), it may not exist and we may have to live with some less than ideal aspects of a the new place.

60 acres within an hour of Atlanta is mighty appealing, though. However this thread has me seriously second guessing Henry County!

3ringer

I live in Butts county. It is just south of Henry county. Much less traffic down here. I commute to Atlanta every day. The fishing and hunting is good here too. Plenty of building sites available. I don't mind driving 30 minutes for groceries or the big box stores.

rjcruiser

I am starting to wonder if the property we are looking at is an oasis in an otherwise disastrous area. Which may not bother me if I have the land (wouldn't plan on every leaving except for random grocery trips, etc.) and can beat traffic. Google maps shows I can go north to Conyers and jump on I-20 or take 155 or I-75 to Atlanta. However, the horror stories above give me serious pause.

The problem with Henry is Clayton. You mention Conyers....the problem with Conyers/Rockdale is Dekalb. The problem with Newton where I live is Rockdale/Dekalb. I wouldn't touch anything that touched Clayton or Dekalb.

3ringer

The problem with Henry is Clayton. You mention Conyers....the problem with Conyers/Rockdale is Dekalb. The problem with Newton where I live is Rockdale/Dekalb. I wouldn't touch anything that touched Clayton or Dekalb.

Lol , I know what you mean. I grew up in Clayton when it was nice to live there. When I moved to Butts County, my cars license plate said Clayton. I covered up the Clayton decal because I was too embarrassed by it.

YankeeRedneck

We moved two years ago from Henry county to Cherokee.
I have not regretted it for a second.
I drive 104 miles round trip for work. Henry was the place to escape to from Clayton. Now people are escaping henry!
The area you are looking at is nice but the spreading of the bad stuff is headed that way too.

CamoDawg85

We moved two years ago from Henry county to Cherokee.
I have not regretted it for a second.
I drive 104 miles round trip for work. Henry was the place to escape to from Clayton. Now people are escaping henry!
The area you are looking at is nice but the spreading of the bad stuff is headed that way too.

This is what we are contemplating too Yank. We are kicking the tires in and around the Forsyth, Cherokee and Dawson county area. Would make for somewhere in the vicinity of a 100 mile round trip which is a little less than we're doing currently from Henry county to Duluth.

What area of Cherokee if you don't mind me asking?

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
re:

I have lived in Henry County since 1990. My two older sons went to Henry County HS when it was at least decent, but there is only a couple of decent public schools there now, so my youngest (10th grade) goes to private school out of necessity. The area has changed so much over the years with the influx of both good and bad folks trying to get away from Clayton/DeKalb , plus in general the sprawl of the city, that it has seriously affected the quality of life here, not to mention that traffic is just terrible and getting worse by the day it seems.

Now add the politics, which I haven't heard anyone mention. Henry County went blue for the 1st time in a presidential race for example. That finishes it for me personally, may not matter to you at all! But I would seriously consider that as to how it might affect the value of your property in the future. I have a wonderful church and great friendships as a result which makes my life here valuable, but other than that there is no redeeming good for me in Henry County. Therefore, I am moving one day soon never to return, God willing of course!

I wish you the best in your decision. If I were you and I had the resources you do to get 60 acres in Henry, I would use those resources to find a true sanctuary for my next home far from this crazy city life! Just my humble opinion so take that with a grain of salt.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Dead ringer. I live less than 10 min. from where you are talkin about. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. They are talking about the I75 corridor through Henry county. Other than eagles landing country club that side of the county is not good. Stockbridge has become a cesspool. I live in the bootheal of rockdale county. A stones throw from Kelly town. I've framed houses off of east lake rd. Your near lake Dow and the ola community. I would love to have a piece of land in that area. You can take airline rd up into Dekalb Cty to hwy 212 and get to the Wesley chapel exit fairly quick that early in the morning

Deadringer

Dead ringer. I live less than 10 min. from where you are talkin about. Don't let the naysayers talk you out of it. They are talking about the I75 corridor through Henry county. Other than eagles landing country club that side of the county is not good. Stockbridge has become a cesspool. I live in the bootheal of rockdale county. A stones throw from Kelly town. I've framed houses off of east lake rd. Your near lake Dow and the ola community. I would love to have a piece of land in that area. You can take airline rd up into Dekalb Cty to hwy 212 and get to the Wesley chapel exit fairly quick that early in the morning

Yeah, I've been spending a lot of time in the area the last several days. Was in Coweta Friday and drove through Fayette over to the property in mid day and stayed around to judge traffic, etc. Traffic wasn't bad at all. Of course the McDonough square and other small stretches had some traffic, but nothing compared to Cobb. Of course, it is still not as rural as I would like, but again the objective is to be far away from Atlanta while still being close enough for work. I am in commercial real estate so I am tied to the city, for better or worse.

I plan to convert the property to pasture and raise cattle, poultry (meat and eggs), goats, bees and have a small orchard. It already has good water and land lays right. Maybe incorporate a high tunnel down the road. It will be my escape. I have to stay busy.

All of this MAY or may not be in Henry County now. Still doing my due diligence. Thanks for all replies; most helpful.

GA native

So we've established that Henry county is out. What's the consensus on Fayette county? Outside of Fayetteville, the property looks nice, and acreage is reasonable.

HuntDawg

So we've established that Henry county is out. What's the consensus on Fayette county? Outside of Fayetteville, the property looks nice, and acreage is reasonable.

I am a Real Estate Agent in Sharpsburg. I cover all the counties around here. You did well not going into Henry. Half my clients are coming from Henry. Henry voted Democrat in the last 2 Presidential Elections. that should be enough to tell you where the county lies at this Point.

If you are going to do Fayette, stay out of North Fayette. It might as well be Clayton County.

If looking in Fayette, do it by School District. Stay away from Fayette County High School and Sandy Creek High School Districts.

You may want to take a gander at Coweta. Northgate School District is great, but you are going to pay for it, just like Starrs Mill, McIntosh, and Whitewater in Fayette. As some have suggested, you may want to look a Meriwether, and North Troup.

I lived in Henry County until the late 90's. Moving to North Coweta was the best thing my wife and I ever did. We do not have children, but knew if we wanted to be in a neighborhood, we wanted a good school district and an exit off I-85 with very little commercial property. Good School District equals good community.

If you want land, look in South Coweta, Meriwether, North Troup. They are more affordable per Acre. As for schools, Large acre tracts do not seem to be as important as most people buying large tracts with homes are at an income level where they either Home School or do the Private School thing.

Good job on saying no to Henry. Bad future investment in my professional opinion.

YankeeRedneck

This is what we are contemplating too Yank. We are kicking the tires in and around the Forsyth, Cherokee and Dawson county area. Would make for somewhere in the vicinity of a 100 mile round trip which is a little less than we're doing currently from Henry county to Duluth.

What area of Cherokee if you don't mind me asking?
Funny I see your in Locust Grove that's where we left from!! We are in Waleska which is 10 miles north of Canton up 140.
The drive can be tough but is so worth it!! :banana:

CamoDawg85

Funny I see your in Locust Grove that's where we left from!! We are in Waleska which is 10 miles north of Canton up 140.
The drive can be tough but is so worth it!! :banana:

Ha! Small world out there ain't it. I really love our neighbors and everything about the property we currently own but the area is going downhill, crime on the rise, county voting democrat, traffic getting worse and worse, bringing in more warehouses with no road infrastructure improvement etc....it's about time to pull the trigger :banginghe

B. White

I am in the far north part of Henry. I can walk to Clayton or Dekalb. The neighborhood means a lot, and how close to major roads and other areas for future development. I was in my BILs neighborhood in Locust Grove on Sunday and it was what I would expect in Dekalb from the traffic and the population. My daughter moved to Newton and I can't say much different about it.

I am staying where I am now due to quick commute and mostly older folks in the neighborhood. It is quite. I will move way out when I retire or get close to it. There is really no where within a comfortable commute to the airport that I would want to move to.

Edit: Wanted to add I have been here since 1980 and lived 4 miles north before that. I have seen a lot of changes.

Last edited:

YankeeRedneck

Ha! Small world out there ain't it. I really love our neighbors and everything about the property we currently own but the area is going downhill, crime on the rise, county voting democrat, traffic getting worse and worse, bringing in more warehouses with no road infrastructure improvement etc....it's about time to pull the trigger :banginghe
PULL IT PULL IT !!! Leaving the neighbors was the hardest part we had a good group. Always watching out for each other. And ALL of us transplants from Clayton county. But when the crime started to go up we were feeling uncomfortable and that is a awful feeling.
You will be amazed at how peaceful it is up here. We really do love it. The mountains and views are awesome.

I am a Real Estate Agent in Sharpsburg. I cover all the counties around here. You did well not going into Henry. Half my clients are coming from Henry. Henry voted Democrat in the last 2 Presidential Elections. that should be enough to tell you where the county lies at this Point.

If you are going to do Fayette, stay out of North Fayette. It might as well be Clayton County.

If looking in Fayette, do it by School District. Stay away from Fayette County High School and Sandy Creek High School Districts.

You may want to take a gander at Coweta. Northgate School District is great, but you are going to pay for it, just like Starrs Mill, McIntosh, and Whitewater in Fayette. As some have suggested, you may want to look a Meriwether, and North Troup.

I lived in Henry County until the late 90's. Moving to North Coweta was the best thing my wife and I ever did. We do not have children, but knew if we wanted to be in a neighborhood, we wanted a good school district and an exit off I-85 with very little commercial property. Good School District equals good community.

If you want land, look in South Coweta, Meriwether, North Troup. They are more affordable per Acre. As for schools, Large acre tracts do not seem to be as important as most people buying large tracts with homes are at an income level where they either Home School or do the Private School thing.

Good job on saying no to Henry. Bad future investment in my professional opinion.

North Troup aint bad.We live outside LaGrange.Gonna get out in the next couple of years