Lock on and Ladder Stand safety system

60Grit

Simply run a 1/2 inch static line rope from above your stand to about two feet above ground, attach your prusik knot, and then your vest system to the knot and move it up by hand as you climb, and the same as you come down.

If you fall out of the stand the tension will cause the knot to bind and save you a world of hurt.

safety system.jpg

Last edited:

60Grit

Same principle for the Ladder Stand use of the rope and prusik knot, just a different anchor point at the bottom.

safety system b.jpg

brucemacgee19

if you fall from the ladder stand on the way up how in the world are you gonna grab anything to get back up after the fall? just wondering cause I got to start using these things.

I can see how you would get off the rope if you fell going up the sticks, but not the ladder. little help please

56willysnut

Thanks for the info, just bought my first climber and treestalker harness, And was wondering how connect it all to the tree.
Do you use a carabiner to attach to the prussic knot?

JohnK3

Banned
60grit, wouldn't a Round Turn and Two Half Hitches be a bit better? You use a link to Animated Knots and they state on the page that there's some concerns about slipping when using the Clove Hitch.

60Grit

60grit, wouldn't a Round Turn and Two Half Hitches be a bit better? You use a link to Animated Knots and they state on the page that there's some concerns about slipping when using the Clove Hitch.

Clove hitch backed up by a safety knot.
I've been tying knots for a very long time, and for the most part, rock climbing was the reason. Never had one slip or fail.

tv_racin_fan

John there are reasons not to use a clove hitch and reasons to use one. Here I believe 60grit has it right, once you add the safety knot the tension on the clove hitch wont change enough to cause it to slip. The three wraps causes the tension to remain steady in one direction and the safety knot keeps it steady from the other. There are other knots if you prefer not to use the clove hitch but I think the clove hitch is the right one as it wont get so tight you can't remove at end of season or any other time you may want to move the stand. Of course I could be wrong.... I'll look at some other knots.

56willysnut

What type rope did you use? A quality nylon or a climbing rope from REI?

perkins569

Thanks

Thanks for the information I built several of these and saved a lot of money!!!

H2OFowler

if you fall from the ladder stand on the way up how in the world are you gonna grab anything to get back up after the fall? just wondering cause I got to start using these things.

I can see how you would get off the rope if you fell going up the sticks, but not the ladder. little help please

I thought about this one recently.

What you can do is tie a second rope about the same place as the first, several feet above your stand. Let it hang almost to the foot of the tree, but don't secure the bottom. Attach two loops big enough to use of foot-holds to the rope using the prussik knot. Slide the prussik knots and loops to the bottom of the rope so they're ready to use in case you fall.

If you fall, you can reach the slack rope and pull it up until you can reach the loops. You just slide the loops up to the point you need them to be, and slip your foot in. You can then use them as moveable steps to climb high enough to get back on the ladder, or the stand if you're near the top.

Hopefully that was clear. :huh: