Longest you have ever stayed with a gobbling turkey?

sman

I also was hunting one with a member on here for a couple of hours thinking any second. Seems like 3 hours. He was only 50 yards away or less, just around a curve. We sat there 35 from the curve with barrels pointed for hours and hours. Finally got up walked to the curve. No bird. You could do a little dance and call and he would gobble less than 15 yards away. We took one step and there he was. He had flown into a tree and he was hidden by a Live Oak. He couldn't see us, we couldn't see him.

Strangest hunt I've ever see.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
5 hours, my first bird and I had no idea what I was doing.

I got out of the truck at first light and he was gobbling his head off. I walked down the hill about 50 yds and set up and started calling but I called too much and he shut up.

I got antsy and got up and started walking. About every 200 yds I would set up and call some more. I walked a big loop, probably a mile. As I was coming back to the truck I called one more time and he gobbled close.

I hustled back down the hill to a curve in the logging road that swept uphill from right to left and set up. All of a sudden I catch movement out of my right eye and it's a Jake cutting across the hillside right in front of me. Next I see the gobbler's head just above the bank on the road. I just knew the Jake was going to bust me. He walked right in front of me giving me the evil eye but he kept his mouth shut.

Meanwhile the gobbler kept walking up the road. When he hit the middle of the curve in the road he was fully visible. I let him have it from 20 yds.

The whole time my heart was pounding. Been hooked ever since. Every time I hear a gobble close the hair on the back of my neck stands up straight.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I guess about 1 1/2 tops. Most fly to me and land right there. The others just mosey up to me. I ran from one last year and he caught up with me. Hope this helps. :)

1776Flintlock

Sunrise to sunset. It actually took me weeks to get the best Tom of my life as written up in Buckmasters way back when ("Cinco De Mayo Turkey" article). That Tom was always on the opposite side of the farm field i hunted until the last day if the season back when i lived in Missouri. Got him finnaly and it was something i will never firget!

strutnrut

Was hunting with a soldier this past April and we got onto a bunch of gobblers that liked each other more than they did a hen. It took 14 hours from the time we pulled up to the time he doubled up on this pair of Old Tom's. One had a double beard the other double set of spurs. Man my back side sure was sore. These birds like to have walked an Old man to death. We had Toms with in 60 yards two or three time throughout the morning. They just simple wouldn't come in. Of course doing what turkeys do. They just walked off when the hen wouldn't come to them. Finally we decided to just wait them out. Around 6 pm I saw one pop his head up over a rise about 200 yards out and a few low yelps and clucks with a trumpet and very lightly stroked a hen box and the deal was don't.

turk2di

Well back in the day( early 90's), hung with a bird until the 1pm daily closing!

The mtn man

I got on one a few years ago about 9 am, I stuck in the same spot because I knew i was in his strutting place, I gave him a soft yelp about every 30 min. About 2 pm I layed down to nap, at 4 while laying in the fetal position with my gun on the ground, I thought I dreamed I could hear footsteps, I opened my eyes and he was at 10 ft staring me down, he nervously started leaving, he was 40 yards before I could move, in a quick motion I grabbed my guns sat up and missed him on the run.

O-Country

Got on one before fly down worked him for 3.5 hours only to miss him when he finally broke and started in. Hurried to the truck and went to another place took off down the old road. After going for a ways I found where one had been strutting in the road that morning went a little further and hit the call heard him and here he came fast. As I got set up as I pulled my head net down and my gun went to my knee he slid in in full strut shot him at 10 to 12 yards in less then 10 minutes. Probably my longest and shortest in the same morning.

GA DAWG

Really working one and him letting me know about it and moving and circling and trying every way in the book to call him in and kill him. Bout 4 hrs. Any longer than that. They usually hush. 30 min after they hush. Im gone.

blong

Really working one and him letting me know about it and moving and circling and trying every way in the book to call him in and kill him. Bout 4 hrs. Any longer than that. They usually hush. 30 min after they hush. Im gone.

Me too! I am not sitting with one that won't play. I'm not in it just for the kill anymore.

Bo D

5 1/2 hours
He was in a corner of a 15 acre cut field gobblin is head off at 2pm about 400yds away.
Tried calling him to me and he wasnt having none of that he was set on staying in his little corner.
It was dead silent that day so l had to crawl the last 150yds, when l get to where he was gobblin he had moved off top the ridge to feed and was getting ready to roost
I crawled another 75yds up the ridge till l spotted him 50yds away and shot l hit him but he was able to fly l put the bead in front of his head like a dove and followed my swing and took 2nd shot and he dropped like a sack of potatos.
The last 10yrs a boss tom takes a hold of that little corner you can almost gurantee a kill or two from that spot every year.