Looking at building a log splitter, kinetic or hydraulic?

muzzy17is

Anyone ever build one of these. It’s what DR sells, uses a rack and pinion system. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
you can't stop a stroke once you start one, and they move fast.

Scary and dangerous to me

muzzy17is

Thanks for the replys, keep em comin'...all input will be much appreciated...from what I'm hearing though after talking with people is that I will probably take my time and build me a nice expandable hydraulic splitter with a lifting mechanism and what not. Any advice on a homemade splitter and sources for reasonably priced parts would be appreciated as well.

tree cutter 08

Look at the supper splitter. Its a half way basic design and could be duplicated with a few parts. They work very good and are fast. Splits clean wood good but rough wood will be aggravating. I would build a hydraulic if I was going to build one.

treemanjohn

Banned
I use to own 3 electric super splits. They're incredible. The hardest part is keeping enough wood nearby to keep up. They will flat out bust wood

muzzy17is

I use to own 3 electric super splits. They're incredible. The hardest part is keeping enough wood nearby to keep up. They will flat out bust wood

I was looking at an electric but haven't seen one over 6 ton. I found a good deal on one but hesitant because I'm leary of how long they'll hold up.

T-N-T

I've always thought this one doesn't look safe;
My buddy got one of those on a PTO mount. Was called a unicorn I'm pretty sure.

He was showing it to us one night while he was drunk. I told him he was gonna loose a limb if he didn't switch off that little tractor.

rjcruiser

My buddy got one of those on a PTO mount. Was called a unicorn I'm pretty sure.

He was showing it to us one night while he was drunk. I told him he was gonna loose a limb if he didn't switch off that little tractor.

I can't believe the guy in that video is wearing a hat that has tassles sticking down to his waist. One of those things get caught in the mess and he's gonna have his head ripped off. :eek::eek::eek:

greg_n_clayton

I can't believe the guy in that video is wearing a hat that has tassles sticking down to his waist. One of those things get caught in the mess and he's gonna have his head ripped off. :eek::eek::eek:

Now that would be cool !! :banana:

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !

If we ever meet ask me about the call(Atlanta Fire) we got where the long haired dude with the pony tail was working on his front wheel drive car(on jack stands) with the car running in first gear and the wheels off.

The only time I ever saw a firefighter blow grits.

treemanjohn

Banned
I was looking at an electric but haven't seen one over 6 ton. I found a good deal on one but hesitant because I'm leary of how long they'll hold up.

The super split electric models will flat out get it done. We ran them hard and they never failed. Zero maintenance and very quiet

Artfuldodger

I noticed on the Supersplit video, when he put the smaller piece of wood on to push the big piece off, It looks like the rack doesn't go all the way to the splitting part.
I would think that would make it safer. I still don't think I'd leave my hand in there though.

rjcruiser

If we ever meet ask me about the call(Atlanta Fire) we got where the long haired dude with the pony tail was working on his front wheel drive car(on jack stands) with the car running in first gear and the wheels off.

The only time I ever saw a firefighter blow grits.

:hair::hair::hair:

oh man...that doesn't sound good.

I noticed on the Supersplit video, when he put the smaller piece of wood on to push the big piece off, It looks like the rack doesn't go all the way to the splitting part.
I would think that would make it safer. I still don't think I'd leave my hand in there though.

It's amazing how familiarity with a tool breeds carelessness. I once got a thumb almost stuck on a hydraulic log splitter. Somehow, got my hand out of the glove, but the glove road the line and split the log along with the anvil. Cracked my nail at the tip, but nothing major. Was very thankful::;

7Mag Hunter

I have a 20 ton splitter with 5HP Briggs motor and will split
anything/size i can cut, and or move around...Mine is both vertical
and horizontal capable.....I would not use a screw type or kinetic..

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
that one little knot gave him some issues. plus, i dont own enough drop cords to reach the backside of my property

muzzy17is

Log splitter 1.jpg
Here's where I'm at with my build. Found this at the scrap yard the other day. Gonna put a new ram, 13gpm pump with a 6.5 hp motor. I should be getting around 20 -25 tons and will be good. Feel free to copy and draw on it if you see any improvements. First big improvement will be a hydraulic log lift.

Hydro all the way. Look at a timber wolf tw 6. I run this machine daily. If I were going to build one, I'd pattern it after this machine. Or, if I had a bobcat, I'd build one to attach to the front of it.