looking back

guess

the minute I started hunting whitetails I was hooked!
my first hunt was not too dramatic but I will remember it as long as I have a mind.
I set out a home made blind,made from pvc pipe and camo burlap,and scattered some corn.
openning morning of "93" I was 26 years old.
I got to my blind about 30 minutes before daylight as soon as light broke a deer walked out and I shot it with an open sight 30/30 I bought for $65.it wasn't a big buck or even a big deer,but i was excited just the same! and hooked for life.also shot my first hog that year when nobody even new they existed here.
186179.jpg

my second season I killed a couple of does and a hog openning weekend.I decided I would hold out for a bigger buck.hunted real hard saw lots of small bucks.several times while still hunting i ran on to a doe in an old road bed,so i decided to set up on it.after awhile the doe showed up ,another 30 minutes and here came a buck .i shot him at about 30 yards with a ruger .243.
186182.jpg

"95"season I did some work for a guy that owned some prime hunting land .when I finally talked him into letting me hunt .I shot this buck on my second hunt there while stalking.it was 120 yard shot with my .243.
186185.jpg

"96" rolled around and the guy let me hunt again.
one day while working my way towards a wheat field I spotted 30-40 turkeys and a few does,so I kept looking through my binocs when I spotted 2 bucks both looked about the same except one was really wide.well I was about 800 yards away,so I stated belly crawling.I had coverd about 500 yards and was preparring for a shot while still laying on my belly.what I had failed to notice was the deer standing on the fence row,of course it blew stompedand spooked the others. In all the confusion I couldn't figure out which was which and they were moving pretty good parralel to me! so I picked one out and took the shot {a move that I now know was stupid} I shot my .243 ,he dropped ,and it was 297 yards,and he was the smaller of the two! but I'm still proud of him.
186187.jpg

in "97" he still let me hunt there,but after season he showed my buck pics around and leased out the land for $3,000 a gun,darn the luck!
I hunted hard saw one really good buck that I could never get a shot at! found a good rub line and hunted it hard! one day in the pouring rain a nice buck came up the trail,like to have not got my scope clean enough to see through as he p***ed at 30 yards I shot! he acted like he wasn't even hit.stopped pnce and looked back at me.I had no shot.after he left I looked for blood but in the rain couldn't see any.so I opted to wait till the next day to look for him.IT rained all night for 100 years!!!! if you know what I mean!the next day I found no blood of course.I just knew I didn't miss so I followed every trail out of that patch of trees.I finally found him about 300 yards from where I shot him.
186195.jpg

In "98" i hunted a new spot,I had spotlighted for hogs on this place many times and had seen a real nice 10 {he scored 158 gross,he was later killed about a mile away by a friend} this buck was bullied badly by an inferior 8 point ,but he was mean .he had one eye and I found out later one testical! I was getting ready to go on an out of town hunting trip and was too sick to be hunting to begin with but went anyway.I told my wife I was going to set up on a hill and rattle,and if the ol'one eyed bully came in I was going to kill him! well guess what,about 10 minutes after my first rattle sequence he showed up and here he is!
186199.jpg

in "99" I saw some good bucks ,I hunted only with my bow and never saw a buck I wanted to kill. my oldest daughter killed a 111+ gross buck that I was very proud of.{he's posted under "hunting with my kids"}
in 2000 I hunted with my bow again determined to kill a book deer.I saw lots of nice bucks even p***ed on a 124 gross 10 point that a friend of mine killed an hour LATER.the next day I had a small buck and a few does milling around near my tripod which was on a trail in the middle of a busted up pecan tree.out of the corner of my eye I saw a buck come from behind me and p*** just under my stand.he chased does made a scrape and chased a doe right under me,I drew he turned and at 7 yards I had killed my first bow buck.he wasn't a P&Y but he looked too unique to p*** up!
186203.jpg

since I haven't really seen anything I wanted to take until this year "03". I saw him while spotting for hogs .he's a nice non-typical in the 160-170's saw him many times even in my sleep! saw him one time in the daylight hours at 5-600 yards! saw many others including a couple in the 140's I saw a decent 8 several times and the last day of the "03" season which was in "04" I decided it had been 3 years if I saw him today I would take him! he showed .ps I saw the big bog and 5 others the smallest of which was in the 120's all bachelored up for summer about the second week of feb all still had thier head gear! I'll be hunting him some more in"04"
186207.jpg

my 2cnd and 3rd daughters killed their first bucks this year it thrilled me more than killing one myself!
that ends my first 10 years of hunting and I feel blessed that god has allowed me to take these deer and let my kids take a few also.I wanted to share this and maybe get some of you guys to start posts of your hunts past and present with stories.I look forward to seeing them and look forward to my next 10 years !

pendy

Great Pics

Guess, I enjoyed the pics of your deer and the story's. Your daughter is adorable. how old were your girls when they started hunting? It is great that they like to hunt.

guess

my girls started hunting at 8,9 and 6 .i let them decide when they are ready,then when they shoot well enough I take them! oh and ,she is no longer cute she is 14 ,but still likes to hunt!