Looking for a longer range rifle for deer

wareagle700

Less recoil would definitely be a plus, but getting the most efficient rifle for the job takes top priority. I did try out a .280 one time and it seemed to be a pretty decent compromise.

I was hesitant about recommending another cartridge for you to consider but the .280 was going to be the one. I love that round, great with factory ammo and easy to load for.

nmurph

There's not much difference between a 270 and a 30 ought 6 in the recoil department. I would assume to 280 fits right in there also. There's a pretty noticeable drop off when you get to the 264 caliber loads unless you are talking about some of the hot rods

Last edited:

TomC

On deer size and even larger game the 264's will be MORE THAN AMPLE at distances longer than most of us will ever shoot in this part of the country and out west the 6.5 CM's / 260's with the right load and bullet are doing some serious long range devastation. Unless I was chasing something that was capable of eating an ELK I'd stick with a 6.5 of some variety, just no need to punish your shoulder anymore with the 270's / 30-06's / 7 Mags. Fine calibers no doubt but just no need if in the market for a new rifle these days. Not necessary but you could always HOT ROD it up to the 6.5-284 Norma but the shoulder would suffer a bit more.

Bill Mc

I really like my Tikka chambered in 6.5x55 (Swede) Every deer I've shot dropped. When I bought it, I figured that if it will take a moose in Scandinavia then a Georgia whitetail shouldn't be a problem.

It's a larger case than the 6.5 CM.

deast1988

I like the 6.5-300wby

Got with the fastest commercial .26 caliber there is.

2ins high at 100yds puts you with a zero around 340ish yards.

It’s wicked on deer.

nmurph

Other than short barrel life, limited ammo availibilty, tricky reloading, and recoil that is more than 50 % greater than a 30-06, it's a great caliber.?

Jester896

Senior Clown
Other than short barrel life, limited ammo availibilty, tricky reloading, and recoil that is more than 50 % greater than a 30-06, it's a great caliber.?

:LOL:
I'm not sure it 50% more recoil...but if you set my 6.5WSM to 8" high @ 100 it is dead on at 606 yards...I can shoot it more than a 300 Win Mag with 210s in it

lonewolf247

Recoil tables I've seen show about 21 ft lbs with 140 grain bullets for the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The .300 Weatherby is ~25 ft lbs with 150 grain, and 30 ft lbs with 180 grain.

I love the Weatherby calibers myself. If I didn't already have a .257 Weatherby Mag, I might consider the 6.5-300 Wthby.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
May have already been mentioned, but I love my 270wsm. Serious recoil, but I fixed that with a Limbsaver recoil pad.
For years I hunted with a 308 & still really like that caliber. 308 is what my son has grown up on.

rosewood

If you can handle turkey shot, you can handle about any rifle cartridge. 3" magnum turkey load is around 70 ft*lbs of recoil. It just isn't any fun developing turkey loads in a shotgun. I use a lead sled.

There are calculators online for recoil. You need to know the gun weight, bullet weight, powder weight and velocity of the bullet for the calculation.

http://www.shooterscalculator.com/recoil-calculator.php

If you are using factory ammo, you can take a reasonable guess at the powder weight by looking at the typical powder weight for a given cartridge that can be found on the powder manufacturers reloading webpages. A few grains of powder weight either way doesn't make a big difference in recoil.

If you load a 300 win mag with the same velocity as a 30-06 and use the same bullet and weight gun, the 300 win mag will recoil more because it requires more gun powder.

Rosewood

rosewood

To reduce recoil and muzzle blast, I have loaded rounds for my Encore pistol in rifle calibers with the fastest burning powder which requires less powder. You may lose some velocity, but you can reduce the blast and recoil for sure. The recoil calculator proves the physics behind it.

Rosewood

deast1988

Recoil tables I've seen show about 21 ft lbs with 140 grain bullets for the 6.5-300 Weatherby. The .300 Weatherby is ~25 ft lbs with 150 grain, and 30 ft lbs with 180 grain.

I love the Weatherby calibers myself. If I didn't already have a .257 Weatherby Mag, I might consider the 6.5-300 Wthby.

I went with a Mark V Arroyo, 6.5-300wby running the 127gr TTSX. I used Warne Mountain tech rail An rings. Went with a Nikon black X 1000 4x16-50 illuminated. I sighted it in 2ins high An was super impressed. During the Rut I had a buck cross a clearing called the shot 250yds dialed up to 11x held solid an let it rip. I found first speck of blood at 319yds where it was standing. I feel I wouldn’t have made that shot with any of rifles deer was moving quick paused long enough for me to take the shot. It absolutely hammered him.

Attachments

• FFF962B8-EAA8-4B51-A00E-24FCC925A20B.jpeg
    FFF962B8-EAA8-4B51-A00E-24FCC925A20B.jpeg
    433.6 KB · Views: 29

rosewood

So, you are saying you thought it was 250, but was actually 319? A faster dropping round would have been a miss or poor hit.

Rosewood

deast1988

So, you are saying you thought it was 250, but was actually 319? A faster dropping round would have been a miss or poor hit.

Rosewood

Exactly the set up saved me, worked out! I have the 6.5-300 with an over 300yd zero. An it worked like a charm, I knew it was out there but didn’t think it was over 300. It 10ringed him, most my other rifles would’ve been in the dirt under him. But I set this one up for 500yds or less.

rosewood

Something satisfying about hitting your mark at distance ain't it?

lonewolf247

I went with a Mark V Arroyo, 6.5-300wby running the 127gr TTSX. I used Warne Mountain tech rail An rings. Went with a Nikon black X 1000 4x16-50 illuminated. I sighted it in 2ins high An was super impressed. During the Rut I had a buck cross a clearing called the shot 250yds dialed up to 11x held solid an let it rip. I found first speck of blood at 319yds where it was standing. I feel I wouldn’t have made that shot with any of rifles deer was moving quick paused long enough for me to take the shot. It absolutely hammered him.

That’s awesome!
Recently I have started to sight in most of my rifles for MPBR, that way, I don’t have to compensate for distance, as long as I keep it within the effective distance. Sounds like that’s what saved you on this deer!

Ironically, like I said in another post, most of my longest shots, I’ve done with 30-06, because that’s what I carry the most. I need to take my .257 Weatherby Mangnum more often. Ha

Dub

Very nice looking buck.

Sweet rifle & scope, too.

I'd like to hear more about that scope. I've yet to be able to examine a Nikon Black.

Years ago I had a Monarch on a 300WSM. That was one very effective scope in dawn/dusk situations. I was usually the last one to the trucks on afternoon hunts. :rofl:

How do you like your's in dawn & dusk light ?

deast1988

Very nice looking buck.

Sweet rifle & scope, too.

I'd like to hear more about that scope. I've yet to be able to examine a Nikon Black.

Years ago I had a Monarch on a 300WSM. That was one very effective scope in dawn/dusk situations. I was usually the last one to the trucks on afternoon hunts. :rofl:

How do you like your's in dawn & dusk light ?

One year in with new no issues it’s clear an crisp. Has held zero great, I got it at a killer deal from Franklins cost sale. Holds light great reticle has light settings where you can dim it the darker it gets. So far so good,