Looking for a modern inline 54 cal

earlthegoat2

Because I have a surplus of 54 cal paraphernalia, namely, balls and bullets, sabots, cleaning brushes and jags, and interest, I would like a ”modern” inline ML in 54 caliber. I am aware this will be a pre-owned only endeavor but that is how I usually buy things anyway.

The earlier days of inline MLs interest me as well.

I would like a gun that was top of the line for it’s day. Knight MK-85 or DISC, Remington 700 ML, T/C Black Diamond, or the exceedingly uncommon Marlin MLS. Does anyone have any experience or input as to what to look for or if anyone has any glowing recommendations?

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I know that the Black Diamond was wonky as all get out action wise...

I also did not know there ever was a .54 inline. Interested in what you turn up...

earlthegoat2

There seems to be some availability with the MK-85 and Rem 700 ML In 54.

There are quite a few Knight LK-93s (similar to the MK-85 but economized) as well as a few Traditions. Ideally the rifle would be 1:28 twist but 1:32 would also work.

Not really interested in the NEF Huntsman as they were a slower twist. Those came in 45, 50, 54, and 58. One of a very few inline 58 cal MLs.

georgia_home

The older Remington 700ml in 54 is sweet.

finding the bullets/sabots is a little more difficult these days. Ditto caps. There is a 209 conversion kit.

and because they’re not 50, they’re a little cheaper if you find them.

the only downside, they are a bit more difficult on dis/assembly

shoot well with a good sabot to 100 Easy. A friend was pushing 150 accurately.

earlthegoat2

Using No 11 or musket caps doesn’t bother me.

I should note, that I used to have a very cheap (cheap, as in bad) 54 inline. Basically I had to do a ton of work to it to get it reliable. I even shot a deer with it. The thing ended up giving me more problems though and showed no signs of stopping. It was just a bad ML.

That is why I have all these components and why I would like another 54.