Looking for an Alaskan Outfitter

bhdawgs

All - next year i want to take my Dad to Alaska for a few days of salmon / halibut fishing. Preferably around Kenai area but open to suggestions. Would like to do a combo trip - anyone on here have a recommendation for an outfitter. Will be my first time there so i would like to stay in a camp and do it right!

thanks

rogers737

Contact North Country Charters in Homer. I have fished with them 8 different times and each was a very successful trip. Super friendly and very professional. All their Captains are very knowledgeable and work hard for the clients. They have combo halibut/Salmon and Ultimate Combo trips (Halibut/Ling Cod/Rockfish).

fairweather

I'm also considering going up. For those who have done this, did you come back with fish in the freezer? It looks like catch limits are pretty low for both halibut and salmon.

rogers737

Fairweather - we have brought fish back every trip we have made. Everybody up there is set up for you to bring fish back or have them shipped back. Cooler boxes are available almost anywhere. Actually check them as baggage on the airplane. Halibut limits have been reduced for annual harvest, but daily catch is the same. I have not seen anything that reduces the salmon catch limits. King Salmon fishery has gotten a bit slower over the last few years, at least on the Kenai.

fairweather

Rogers - Thanks for the info. I have traveled to Alaska extensively on business, but got to fish only once. Maybe I can get up to fish and forget business this summer.