Looking to buy a good bow hunting climber..

rbday1989

I’ve been looking for a good bow hunting climber that’s light weight that can pack easy for long walks on clubs or public land hunting.. I’ve looked at “ old man stands “ “ X-stand deluxe, summit openshot ... looking for the best bang for my buck.. thanks guys..

fountain

You will likely get a lot of summit answers, but I bought a lone wolf sit n climb. I hated it to begin with, but the more I use it, I'm quickly changing my mind. It can fold flat and packs easily. I am going to put a molle strap system on it to replace the nylon straps.
I suggest looking at some you tube videos on one to see the ins and outs of use.
If you do decide on a lone wolf, i may would look at the wide model sit n climb. I have the standard and o can fit in it fine, but more room wouldn't hurt. There are several option of lone wolf stands..the sit n climb, hand climber and a flip top model. The flip top model is pretty interesting and I would actually like to give one a try

fountain

I will also add, that before I bought the lone wolf, my go to climber set up was an api grand slam supreme bottom coupled with a lone wolf hand climber top. It was very lightweight and climbed well. The api bottom gave a big platform. I need to weigh that set up against my sit n climb to compare weight, but the way the api/hand climber packed, I could stick my arm through the chain of the api bottom half and carry it on my shoulder like that with no trouble at all. You can put together stands like that by shopping around. You can find a good many for sale on archery talk

uturn

I have done much the same as fountain...good information!

pete2018

Depends on what you want to spend. I have a old man stand I bow hunt out of and what’s great is I use the shooting rail for a foot rest. when I bow hunt I then flip it over when to rifle hunt. I also have a summit viper and it’s good and liight weight. But bow hunting I have a couple of the lone wolf hang on and I love them for bow hunting. But i know your asking about a climbing stand so either one would be good also I have looked at the lone wolf hand climber looks perfect bow hunting.

IshotBambi

Hawk Warbird LT. I've had mine for 2 seasons now and love it. Folds flat and feels much safer than other climbers I've had in the past

ddd-shooter

I hunt public land and carry a stand on every hunt. Love my summit viper. Can sit for many hours comfortably. Only 19 pounds.

goshenmountainman

I own one lone wolf sit and climb and two XOP lone wolf copies, they are the best bow hunting climber out there.. I own the summit and the api versions, no comparison to the lone wolf.

kbuck1

Lone wolf. Get the hazmore net seat for it and get the seat kinda low to the platform and I can sit all day. Literally, with no discomfort at all. I have had summits and api's as well. Nice stands. But there is simply no comparison to the lone wolf. No holes to line up to stick a pin through and no shrink wrap on cables to replace.

goshenmountainman

Lone wolf. Get the hazmore net seat for it and get the seat kinda low to the platform and I can sit all day. Literally, with no discomfort at all. I have had summits and api's as well. Nice stands. But there is simply no comparison to the lone wolf. No holes to line up to stick a pin through and no shrink wrap on cables to replace.
I have the hazmore seat on one of mine, I will swap you for the original seat if you have it.

kbuck1

I have the hazmore seat on one of mine, I will swap you for the original seat if you have it.
I may still have it. If i do you an have it

If you got the seat height right the hazmore is way more comfortable. Ive hunted out of mine pretty much exclusively the last 7 or 8 years

goshenmountainman

I may still have it. If i do you an have it

If you got the seat height right the hazmore is way more comfortable. Ive hunted out of mine pretty much exclusively the last 7 or 8 years
The reason I don't like it is it has no wind protection on my back or sides, and no insulation factor. I bought it with the hazmore already installed, just can't get used to it.

Derek Snider

I’ve owned summit and lone wolf. I had the viper first and decided to try the lone wolf. After a season, I sold the wolf and went back to the viper. I concluded that the viper was better overall. For some reason, I have an issue climbing with the wolf (sit & climb model) and never could get used to it. Pros and cons with both imo; viper is easier to climb and more comfortable to sit in and the wolf was quieter and the platform is rock solid locked in the tree and the belt system lone wolf uses is superior to the cable system of summit. The wolf is designed to be quiet and stealthy and it was almost hard to make noise with it if you tried. My summit climbs easier and with a few modifications is quiet enough. Im planning to buy my son a new climbing stand for Christmas and I will most likely buy him a viper and trick it out with a few mods to make it better. The more familiar you are with one stand, the more efficient that stand will be for you and that’s why summit get the nod for us.

RLykens

For bow hunting I have a summit open shot. Its like having a lock on stand that I can climb with and it comfortable

ninjaneer

I bow hunt and use a Summit this is 4th or 5th yr with this one. Very comfortable, quiet and well made. Rubber on cables is mostly rubbed off at the lugs, doesn't affect safety just not as quiet. Will probably replace or get the heat shrink covers after this season. Recently noticed seat material has torn in a couple places where the webbing attaches. Previously had another Summit which was stolen by a trespasser and before that an Ammacker which was much heavier and less easy to use.

Goatman70

Treewalker treestands. Just got one and love it. simple, light weight, and compact. I hunted a summit for years and the weld broke on my bottom piece, so i gave treewalker a shot.