Lost spark plug - how do I replace?

egomaniac247

I have a briggs & stratton power washer that last year wasn't starting. I figured it was a fouled spark plug b/c it didn't sound like it was getting fire on the rope pulls.

Well, like an idiot, I took the spark plug out and meant to take it to a store and replace it but....like an idiot I lost the dang spark plug.

I have no manual for this thing. I've searched around the internet but can't find anything yet....I haven't searched for a replacement manual online yet though so maybe that's the next step.

Is there another quick way to determine the spark plug size?

Jim Baker

Staff member
I have a briggs & stratton power washer that last year wasn't starting. I figured it was a fouled spark plug b/c it didn't sound like it was getting fire on the rope pulls.

Well, like an idiot, I took the spark plug out and meant to take it to a store and replace it but....like an idiot I lost the dang spark plug.

I have no manual for this thing. I've searched around the internet but can't find anything yet....I haven't searched for a replacement manual online yet though so maybe that's the next step.

There will be a sticker on the engine with model no. or there will be casting no. on the engine block. Either one will give you the info you need to take to a small engine shop to match plug. Pretty much the only difference will be whether it is an OHV engine or not. CLose off the hole with a shop rag until you get a plug.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
take the model number of the engine to a good auto parts store. They can look up what it takes for the plug.

ps good auto parts stores usually do not include Autozone, Advanced Auto a couple others. Find one that still has the paper catalogs on the counter, where they know how to use them. Not the stores that need to know if you have leather or cloth interior to sell you an engine oil filter

Last edited:

SkintRider

Most B&S engines have the model and serial #'s stamped into the flywheel cover and or pull rope housing. Most Napa, Carquest, Bumper to Bumper have competent parts people to look one up.

egomaniac247

Guys, this is why this forum is so great. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

I found the part # stamped where SkintRider said, came back in and used the link that GANative provided, found the manual, then found the part #. And then thanks to the wonder of the internet I found the cross referenced part #'s for Champion plugs just in case.

Case closed - going to pick it up now. If no one has it, I see online for $3.85.

Thanks so much guys, you rock. (now let's hope I don't have to clean the dang carb to get this thing to work lol)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Glad you found the information. Let’s hope dirt daubers didn’t find that hole :(