Low PH ideas...need a little help.

drtslngr

Hunt club out of Vidalia Ga. We had some new food plots pushed up this year along with several existing. Most plots have PH right at 5. Couple new ones at 4.8. We put out 18 tons of lime last weekend and rotovated it in with 1/2' of rainfall. We would like to plant right round the 1st weekend of Oct (rain?).

Does anyone have suggestions on the best plants that might have a chance with a ph of 5? (I've read that in extreme cases the ph can move quite a bit in first few weeks..so maybe a bit of help?)

Second question..Fertilize. Given that the 5 ph plots won't be able to use maybe 60-70% of the fert, do we go with the recommended amounts on UGA soil test?

We had pretty terrible results last year, might not be much better this year but would like any input or suggestions that might help this as well as next year. We do have a couple food plots in the mid 5's and one right at neutral. Thanks in advance for any ideas to help us produce the best plots possible. We sure could use it.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
winter wheat and crimson clover will work this year.Go ahead and fert.Mix in some brassicas and chicory.You should have food available until next April/May.
Go ahead and plant perennial clovers in the one that is 6.5.Add some wheat as a nurse crop.

Gaswamp

I believe rye would tolerate a lower ph than wheat

drtslngr

winter wheat and crimson clover will work this year.Go ahead and fert.Mix in some brassicas and chicory.You should have food available until next April/May.
Go ahead and plant perennial clovers in the one that is 6.5.Add some wheat as a nurse crop.
Awesome response. Do you have a suggestion on perennial? Really appreciate the help. We are year 4 into our club. None of us have/had any background for horticulture but I think we are starting to move in the right direction and hope to do better next year.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

This. ^

Durana, Patriot or any other perennial white clover will work.