Lowrance HDS Active Target

lando79

My dad has a Lowerance HDS Active Target unit on front of his boat. He's had it under a year but still doesn't have a lot of success using it to its capabilities. He lives 5 miles from Allatoona. Fishes for Bass and Crappie mostly at Allatoona, Weiss, Chickamauga and Wedowee.

I'm looking for a recommendation for hiring guide/someone who could go out on his boat and teach him/dial in his unit. I was thinking this could be a Christmas Present.

Thanks for any help!

Jdmb123

Emil Wagner is one of the best out there right now if you can book him

Last edited:

lando79

Go on YouTube and learn together. Not difficult and time well spent with your dad.
I'm 44 with 3 kids so free time isn't on my side

We did go out to crappie fish other day and for the 1st time actually saw our bait on the active target with fish swimming around it. Just need to figure it out better so he can use it to his advantage a little more

Ajohnson0587

Go on YouTube, there’s tons of videos on initial setup settings. This is how I setup my Garmin LS, watch several videos on my phone, saved them, and took the boat to the lake. Found a brush pile with fish on it using my 2D and Down Scan at the console, dropped the trolling motor and spent the next 2hrs playing with the settings until I got it exactly how I wanted. It will still require adjustment depending on what you’re fishing for, depth, and structure. I don’t use the auto feature for the depth, because you can get a better picture by adjusting the depth manually, also the water clarity can create problems as well. If you are fishing a lake that gets turned up with debris after hard rains, that can affect the quality of the picture. Also, experiment with different color settings, as everyone’s eyes see color differently