MADISON COUNTY

ssmith

Opening day of bow saw nothing this am. Hot ,squirrels cutting nuts, crows trying to get corn, mosquitoes plentiful. No wind rain dripping from leaves

jbird1

I'm across the river from you in Oglethorpe but the deer cross back and forth so I kill Madison County deer too.:bounce: Good luck this season!

ssmith

Jbird1 . I was preaching in Oglethorpe county at Glades Baptist this am. Sure some nice looking land on Carlton Lexington rd.

ssmith

Just plain hot. No breeze this am At 8:: 45 had a buck out of range and not a shooter. Cooler next week

Kootie

I don't bow hunt....so cant contribute much. I can say its been hot and dry so far and we are seeing the velvet come off. Deer herd looks healthy but didn't see as many fawns this year. Look forward to a fun season and will follow this thread.

ssmith

In woods. This am . Saw three deer under neighbors pear tree at 7:15. 8:15 had a 6 to 8 pt come behind me. Too far and no shooter. Then around 9 had six deer a good ways through woods probably all does. At least made it interesting and then around 11 it was just plain hot.

jbird1

You sure are putting in the hours...what are your goals for this season?...fill the freezer, mature buck, just being in the woods??

ssmith

Retired age 77 next month . Work two days a week at courthouse . Mon Wed and Fri main days to hunt . Have a ten point plus two small ones can hang ring on. So a ten point or better is what I go for. I just plain being in the woods and fooling them .Knowing that I could shoot you if I wanted, also enjoying Gods creation. All the wildlife. I usually give a doe to someone who could really use it a large family etc.

jbird1

You and I are similar in our hunting outlooks then. I mainly like being in the woods. Other folks kind of look at me sideways when I give post hunt reports to them and wonder why I didn't pull the trigger. Well, I just like watching them sometimes.

ssmith

In woods at 7:15 one blowing behind me as pulled crossbow up. That's all for next three hours. Got camera to see what's going on next

Lshaw97

Had 6 does feeding in the field this evening. 40 degrees in the morning, wish I could make it out and go

ssmith

Beautiful morning 37 degrees with no wind. Had a yearling at feeder. She was my alarm for any other animals.She left then a buck came thru the woods and headed her way. Could of shot him if end of season but not now.Looking for bigger one. Then had three does. An active morning. Had one more doe crossing power. Line as I left.

Esau

Got to hunt Yesterday. Saw 4 does and a young 7 point. He was following does, they didn't seem interested. Nice day to be in the woods.

Lshaw97

Seen a good 8 pointer I let walk this evening. He was sparring with a yearling buck. Waiting on Mr. Whopper donkey

Esau

I hunted Saturday morning and saw one average 6 pointer. He was cruising along the river. I didn't hunt Saturday evening. I watched the Dawgs beat Kentucky. I hunted Sunday morning and saw several deer. There were 3 small bucks hounding does all morning. A fawn bedded down in front of me and just watched all of the commotion. I hunted Sunday evening and saw three does and no bucks. My buddy watched a young 7 chasing. I think things are about to get real good soon. I have seen several years where the young bucks start chasing and a week or so later the big boys show up. It is deer hunting so there are no guarantees.

ssmith

This morning in drizzling rain ,thank goodness for camo tree umbrella, used it for first time in years. Saw 4 pt at 7:15 a spike at feeder at 9 and three yearlings ran off behind me. Also a grey and a black fox squirell. Nothing dramatic yet.