Make 'Em Quiver Team Thread 2015

APPierce0628

I shot a doe last night. It was a bad combination of quartering to me, low light, and extreme downward angle. Gave her an hour or so before we got the dog on her. Trailed her steadily for a few hours with meager amounts of bright red blood, some with bubbles. At one point, the tracker found a spot of dark, almost black blood. We were going to back out and give her until morning but then jumped her shortly after and she jumped the fence onto property I do not have permission to search. I'm going to try and go back after school since I get out at 12. From the angle of shot and blood found, I'm worried I clipped one lung and do liver, but there wasn't dark blood until well into the track, which makes me wonder. But anyways, wish me luck this afternoon. If I don't get permission, I suppose I will continue to search our property in hopes that she came back across the fence. Hindsight is always better, but I feel like I should have known not to take that shot. I like them close, but 5 steps away when I'm 15-17 feet up is extreme.

APPierce0628

Update: started from the beginning of the blood trail with a buddy today and we tracked from impact to the point where the dog found last blood. From there we examined every spot we found blood and found spatter direction on each one to identify direction of travel. Ended up finding where the deer had looped multiple times in 360° circles and eventually found where it jumped the fence. We crossed the fence, albeit without permission, and continued to find blood in the field, in meager amounts. The trail led into an acre or so pine thicket, and continued into the thicket. We continued until we couldn't find any more blood and decided to get permission. This was from 1:00-4:00 pm. I made it back to the owner's property at 6:40 and he was more than helpful, and is a wonderful guy. We completely searched the thicket for the deer or any sign, and could not find anything. We exchanged numbers and told me he would let me know if he found the deer anywhere else. I hate to lose one, especially when I know it's my fault, but I understand that it happens. I will keep an eye out for vultures and such, but there is still a chance that the deer may live.

Soybean

you did right by looking as hard as you could. we have all been there. shake it off and keep at it. good luck buddy!

kbuck1

shot this guy at last light on saturday. arrow broke off about 1.5 inches from the broadhead with blood only 1.5 inches on the remaining shaft. total of 3 inches off penetration plus the rage hypodermic. shoulder shot I guess. very little blood. Im thinking he'll recover. I actually thought I missed because when I shot I heard a loud pop and saw sparks fly. That's right!! sparks flying. I thought i had missed and hit a rock. could have been the friction of the blades opening not sure. His name will be Iron Man from here on out.

Attachments

• PICT0105.jpg
    PICT0105.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 107

Kris87

The hypodermics are known for sparking because of the steel ferrule. That's pretty common.

You'll get him. Good luck.

APPierce0628

Stinks about the buck, kbuck, I know how it is. But I believe in everything having reason and I have a feeling that in the next two weeks, the big boys will be slipping up and making mistakes. And I know you're ready. I've seen lots of sign of good buck movement the past week, and it looks to be heating up. I'm going to try and hunt every chance I get this week. I'd like to go ahead and kill my deer before it gets too cold. My poor circulation makes cold mornings very difficult to withstand, so I'm less likely to hunt once it gets in the 40s for the high. Good luck this week, and stay safe.

kbuck1

How's the hunting been for you guys? I haven't gone as much as usual. I've got one that keeps giving me the slip. Got more pics of him than any other deer on the place but can't see him.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_2015-10-14-18-12-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-14-18-12-33.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 48

APPierce0628

Hunting for me has been non existent. Have hunted once in 2 weeks. I'm grabbing a bite for lunch at DQ in town right now then heading to hunt this evening. I am also hunting in the morning. Can't decide between the thick stuff in hardwoods where the rubs are showing up, and the fields. I'll let y'all know how it goes this weekend. And that's a hoss of a buck, man:hair:. Beautiful. I think you'll get him.

APPierce0628

Alright. Thanks.I think I'll set up in some thinner areas this afternoon so I don't stink up the thick stuff. I need to get your targets back to you also, so text me when a good time to drop them off would be this weekend.

Soybean

im about to go into rambo mode next week, ill be hunting my lease from the 4th to the 10th.

if i dont connect then, its back to the family farm to try and close the season on a little 6 pt i call Ralph. See below ;)

im done with does, got 1 buck tag left to fill :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 310

APPierce0628

No luck for me tonight. Monte shot a small, unusual buck. A spike with a fork on one side and a bunch of stickers at the bases.

Attachments

• IMG_20151030_34352.jpg
    IMG_20151030_34352.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 289

APPierce0628

He was definitely heavy. I had to drag him across a small branch through some thick sticky mud, all by myself. But looking at his right side, it looks like he has a damaged pedicle. But as far as me hunting, it's rough. Afternoons are almost impossible to make with the time change. Responsibilities are piling on me like mad. This week was supposed to be hunting packed, but my schedule got loaded at the last minute. Trying to sort out college stuff, planning where to go, etc. is just making everything much more stressful. Anyways, that's a whole different story. Deer hunting is on the back burner at the moment. I miss the relaxation.

Soybean

well boys, Im done for the year. Tagged out with the rifle yesterday. I hunted hard last week with the bow in this miserable weather. Got fed up with getting soaked and decided to head to the farm yesterday to sit in a blind with the gun and on a big field. Had a friend with me and we were looking for his first buck. I never planned on pulling the trigger but you never know with deer hunting. I posted the story in the deer hunting section.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=856948

Ive enjoyed the contest this year and wish y'all the best of luck. Ill be keeping tabs on the progress so keep at it. Good luck in college next year APP.

kbuck1

well boys, Im done for the year. Tagged out with the rifle yesterday. I hunted hard last week with the bow in this miserable weather. Got fed up with getting soaked and decided to head to the farm yesterday to sit in a blind with the gun and on a big field. Had a friend with me and we were looking for his first buck. I never planned on pulling the trigger but you never know with deer hunting. I posted the story in the deer hunting section.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=856948

Ive enjoyed the contest this year and wish y'all the best of luck. Ill be keeping tabs on the progress so keep at it. Good luck in college next year APP.

Congrats on another great buck. I just picked up a new tract of land Ive been trying to get for several years. Hate to get it so late but I still have high hopes for it. Maybe we can finish strong

APPierce0628

I wish I could finish strong fellows, but calculus is by far taking priority. I've never had a class that I've studied so hard for, and done so poorly at. But I should still be able to get some late season hunts in once college ends. That is an awesome deer, Soybean, congratulations! And that is awesome that you picked up that tract of land, kbuck! I'm living vicariously through you right now, as hunting has been minimal and poor when available. But things may look up soon, who knows?

APPierce0628

Well, college is over, managed an A in both my classes (Chemistry and English 1102). Should get some time between now and the end of season to get on a doe or two, I hope. The past month has been just way too busy. We shall see what the future holds.

Soybean

Good deal. Get after them. You may get a chance at some colder weather in a week or so. I forgot what it was like to hunt deer in the cold.