Male & Female in his image?

Artfuldodger

Not to enter another discussion on homosexuality, what's the meaning of God creating humans as male and female in his image?

Artfuldodger

God could have easily created man as some species that can procreate without some being males and some being females.

I'm trying to see a deeper meaning as to what God was looking for. Was it for the relationship of the Father and Son? The Church and the Son? Actually those are marriage relationships more than male and female. Yet the image of male and female were of God's image.
Maybe a part of the Trinity reflects this male and female image. Let "us" make man in our image, male and female. The Trinity is Father and Son.
Something though within the Trinity or God is "us," male and female.

Could it be to show Unity? God being this unity that was male and female. So the creation of man had to be male and female as well.
If only to show this unity. Two becoming one.

Artfuldodger

Two becoming one. I think that is a big part of the whole picture. Perhaps Jesus and the Church? God and Jesus were already one.

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.

It gets really deep when you thing about it. A Father and Son before the actual Creation. A Son before his Mother's birth. Male and Female he created them.
The Word was with God.

Spiritual origins? Yes. Physical origins? Yes. Somehow. There has to be some type of physical connection too. If there is a Father and and Son and later a Mother. Male and Female created he? That and us in His image.

You can't just toss aside the importance of this Creation of male and female. Somehow it's important to the Creation and likeness of God.

This is way deeper than sexuality, reproduction, intercourse, or sexual preference.
Maybe it's about two becoming one or Unity.

Artfuldodger

A Father and Son creating something male and female? Wouldn't you think a Father and Son would create using sexual identity? Why wouldn't they create male and female?
You have Father and a Son. Who could expect them not to create male and female?
Again it shows some aspect of God's eternal being. It shows some tie of God and the Son to the physical realm of male and female.

We kind of laugh at some sects for seeing this but isn't it really there? Some existence of Creation being made male and female in God's image? A Father with a Son? The Word being with God?

Even if the answer is the old "out of time" answer, they still created using male and female. The Father and Son knew.

gordon 2

First I understand that Eve was made as a companion for Adam-- and from his rib.

Second " in His image " in the context here means that Adam and Eve, one male one female were both walking with God. That is to say by walking with God they were in his image, just as we use the term "in Christ" to mean that someone is renewed spiritually by being Christian and out of the world's control. And in this state of things Adam and Eve were equal before God and both equally walked with God-- both God and they being sinless or they being innocent of any evil.

Maybe, it is just this simple and there is no need for depth to follow it: In the image of God in the pools of the Garden where no evil was, so was the image of man, both male and female. So man was made in the life of God who is without sin to live with God in sinless nature.

Maybe...

Now this is were it gets interesting for me: If Adam and Eve were visible to God as to being in His image being that we are told they "walked together" in wholesome relationship--- What image of God did Adam and Eve see in this relationship? What was then their view of God?

In Colossians Paul says this of God (Father):

1:13 For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.

He also says this:

Colossians3: 9 Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices 10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator.

So Art as we are being renewed in the knowledge in the image of its Creator, do we see Him yet what Adam and Eve first saw? Do Christians walk with God even now?

What I'm getting at is that our renewal seems a return to seeing God by a renewal of His image in us via the Holy Spirit to the station it was initially meant to be--if I understand Paul and scripture somewhat.

Now we have the Holy Spirit in us, if we agree at least on scripture as to the blessing through grace of the Father thru Jesus Savior... this is the big difference maker and creator of our life from before and to our after-- as Christians.

We are told that the Holy Spirit is our comforter, our teacher, and God. Are we in His image comforters and teachers--students? Are we spiritually "walking" within our renewal within the image ( as we can know it) of our Creator? Are we ministers of this witness, if indeed we have it? Are we being renewed by the image of God we have in us? What of this image do we witness, what do we see--what is in our potentially renewed minds for this image? What new knowledge do we have on the image of God that some might not have? Art, what do u think?

When I was a little boy I would go in the spring and gaze in the ponds and see all those many, many ( hundreds and hundreds) tadpoles that would eventually become frogs and wondered which were going to make it. I studies their forms and vitality. They did swim all strangely as some things set to survive and to be something else very different, but the knowledge that latter in the summer there would be only maybe half a dozen frogs in any given pool which had survived of the many made me to worry for all who would not make it. What is the important things to know to survive through our spiritual lives from the life that is now within us? What is our relationship to the things of heaven and the things of the earth? Is the image of God in man meant to be of heaven or heaven sent or of the earth? Marriages and relationships are very different to both. Are we to mix them up or untangle them with God's help and giving each its due order?

Last edited: