manpower shortage

REDMOND1858

Just a thought if someone wants the job they can go get the required schooling.
Or they could go somewhere that doesn’t require it and make more money, and let DNR miss out on what potentially could have been a good hire. My mindset kinda is, if I’m going to rack up student debt, it sure ain’t going to be for a LEO’s paycheck. Common sense and basic economics has to kick in at some point, although those don’t come with those fancy high dollar degrees anymore. Your more likely to have a class in tennis and Introduction to college 101 . Most LEO’s I know with a degree got hired somewhere and let their employer foot the bill for their degree. And never use the useless information they obtained once they receive that piece of paper.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Or they could go somewhere that doesn’t require it and make more money, and let DNR miss out on what potentially could have been a good hire. My mindset kinda is, if I’m going to rack up student debt, it sure ain’t going to be for a LEO’s paycheck. Common sense and basic economics has to kick in at some point, although those don’t come with those fancy high dollar degrees anymore. Your more likely to have a class in tennis and Introduction to college 101 . Most LEO’s I know with a degree got hired somewhere and let their employer foot the bill for their degree. And never use the useless information they obtained once they receive that piece of paper.

if they don't use that education that's their own fault.

REDMOND1858

if they don't use that education that's their own fault.
They don’t use the education because the education system today is a joke. If they would teach them something practical worth learning then maybe they would use it. Instead they teach them how to write a college essay, how to keep from offending someone, how to speak French....

BassMan31

They don’t use the education because the education system today is a joke. If they would teach them something practical worth learning then maybe they would use it. Instead they teach them how to write a college essay, how to keep from offending someone, how to speak French....

Though I agree students should be taught useful skills writing essays is far from trivial, being able to express ideas accurately and understandably is the most powerful skill anyone can have.

IMHO, unless you're going into STEM, the Trades are where it's at.

I find it difficult to believe a LEO or GW needs a college degree of any level to do the job well.

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Though I agree students should be taught useful skills writing essays is far from trivial. Being able to express ideas accurately and understandably is the most powerful skill anyone can have.

IMHO, unless you're going into STEM, the Trades are where it's at.

I find it difficult to believe a LEO or GW needs a college degree of any level to do the job well.

my dad and uncle did an engineering job with a high school education. I find it difficult to believe an engineering degree is required to be an engineer

Last edited:

BassMan31

my dad and uncle did an engineering job with a high school education. I find it difficult to believe an engineering degree is required to be an engineer

Then you are obviously not an engineer. The training required for any engineering job is far more than can be attained with a simple high-school degree, from yesteryear or otherwise. To say the same for the training of a LEO or GW is absurd to my mind.

If I may ask, what were the job requirements when they were hired on?

Last edited:

BassMan31

A degree is still not required but you have to document something like 20 years of design work experiance before you can take the license exam.

It is like becoming a lawyer without going to law school.
Prexactly. Lincoln did it but genius intellects are few and far between.

BassMan31

Yea... We’ll have to agree to Disagree here. Teachers and law enforcement (those who actually serve and don’t abuse their rights), should be paid much more, b/c that market is unfortunately one backwards model. But that’s just my opinion.
I see your point. This is fair to say.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
To say the same for the training of a LEO or GW is absurd to my mind.

You obviously don't know anything about law enforcement.

deast1988

Legalize the corn, then they can worry about trespassers and night/road hunters. Seems easy way to take the burden off.

BassMan31

You obviously don't know anything about law enforcement.

I didn't claim to be an expert.

I will concede a high school diploma does not prepare you for LE work. I do not see why a college degree should be mandatory, if that is the argument. I am open to other perspectives.

Last edited:

Longhorn 16

Dream job for me. Watched North Woods Law with my son tonight and he asked why don’t we ever get checked like that? As the show progressed he said I know we are good but these guys are really seeking something to get them.

Game and fish violations he understood, speeding tickets for going 20 in a 10 on a dirt road turned him off. Or as he said now there being stupid it’s an ATV.

Absolute respect for our wardens but I have to think they don’t like to see the “Hollywood” version of their hard work presented this way.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
People that do these public service jobs are not in it for the wealth.

gatorhater

Think about this for a job that pays $41,000!! For the next 30 years on your work days you will be on call 24/7, for the next 30 years you will work all Major Holidays (Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving), and for the next 30 years you will work 3 out of every 4 weekends.

1) which means you cant ride over to the next town to take the wife out to eat, because everyone knows you and insists on asking questions even though you are not in uniform when you try to eat locally.
2) you cant have a cold beer after a long stressful day because your day MAY not be over
3) hopefully the 1 weekend you have off has good weather
4) 3 or 4 off weekends during hunting season to take your own kids hunting
5) the list could go on and on but it is a Great Job!!!

Tmpr111

Think about this for a job that pays $41,000!! For the next 30 years on your work days you will be on call 24/7, for the next 30 years you will work all Major Holidays (Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving), and for the next 30 years you will work 3 out of every 4 weekends.

1) which means you cant ride over to the next town to take the wife out to eat, because everyone knows you and insists on asking questions even though you are not in uniform when you try to eat locally.
2) you cant have a cold beer after a long stressful day because your day MAY not be over
3) hopefully the 1 weekend you have off has good weather
4) 3 or 4 off weekends during hunting season to take your own kids hunting
5) the list could go on and on but it is a Great Job!!!

Well I think the pay is low for today, but I spoke on that previously..... However to your points above, here are some thoughts as to why I think it'd be a great job .....

- You get to Serve your community and help make a difference
- You're outdoors and have access and visibility to some really cool things
- You most likely could get permission to hunt and fish some VERY NICE places that otherwise you'd never step foot on, and simply b/c you could provide help and a service to the land owners. Happens all the time!
- :) it has it's perks (and poo) just like everything else I'm sure.

JackSprat

Anyone who can maintain a B average in these grade inflated times can get a 4 year degree in Georgia virtually debt free, thanks to the late Zell Miller.

So if your mindset is to borrow a lot of money to get a degree in art history, then being an LEO is probably not a good career choice.

PappyHoel

Dream job for me. Watched North Woods Law with my son tonight and he asked why don’t we ever get checked like that? As the show progressed he said I know we are good but these guys are really seeking something to get them.

Game and fish violations he understood, speeding tickets for going 20 in a 10 on a dirt road turned him off. Or as he said now there being stupid it’s an ATV.

Absolute respect for our wardens but I have to think they don’t like to see the “Hollywood” version of their hard work presented this way.
Watch the other game warden show from California. Those guys don’t joke around. The Alaska game wardens are fun to watch too.

JackSprat

My father was one of the top construction safety directors/loss control executives in the state with a 1930's HS education.

He taught seminars to engineers.

Lawyers sought his advice on workers comp matters and construction liability,

He insisted that I go to college so that I would not have to follow the hard path that he did.

Growing up, I knew many craftsman who were products of the depression who were school dropouts because they had to go work the farm or in the cotton mill. One carpenter I grew up with was near to being a mathematical genius but a GRADE school dropout.

Bill Gates only has a high school diploma.

Nonetheless, a college degree has become the standard "ticket" for most employers who offer a career path.