Man's Relation to the Spirit-World

Thread starter #1
Man has a body, soul, and spirit, giving him contact with and operation in both the material and spiritual world's. There is a natural body and there is a spiritual body (1 Cor. 15:44). One is governed by physical laws and the other by spiritual laws.
1. THE BODY OF MAN is the earthly house of the soul and spirit. The soul and spirit design, and the body executes. Man through his body has world-consciousness, through his soul, self-consciousness, and through his spirit, God-consciousness. Thus the members of the body become instruments of either sin or righteousness. The body is the only part that was made of the dust and is the only part that will go back to dust (Gen. 2:7; Eccl. 3:19-21). Physical death is merely the separation of the soul and spirit from the body (Jas. 2:26). The body is then called asleep and knows nothing in the grave. The soul and spirit never sleep but are always conscious between death and resurrection. All passages used by some to teach soul-sleep really refer to the body, as can be seen the reading of Scriptures.
2. THE SOUL OF MAN is the seat of his affections, emotions, appetites, desires, and all feelings (Matt. 26:38; John 12:27; Heb. 10:38). The Hebrew word for soul is nephesh and occurs 754 times. It is translated soul 472 times. it should always be translated soul, but instead in 282 places it is translated by forty-four different words and phrases. The way God uses nephesh is the guide to its meaning. If the above definition of soul is kept in mind in studying each place where nephesh is used, every passage will be clear.
(1) It is used of lower animals twenty-two times, because they also have feelings, emotions, appetites, and desires. It is rendered "Life" (Gen. 1:20; 9:4); "creature" (Gen. 1:21, 24; 2:19; 9:10, 12; Lev. 11:46); "thing" (Lev. 11:10; Ezek. 47:9); "beast" (Lev. 24:18); "soul" (Job 12:10); "breath" (Job 41:21); and "fish" (Isa. 19:10).
(2) It is used both man and lower animals seven times, for all living creatures have life, feelings and appetites, (Gen. 9:15-16; Lev. 17:11, 14; Num. 31:28).
(3) It is used of man as an individual person fifty-three times and is rendered "soul" thirty-six times (Gen. 2:7; 12:5; 46:15, 18, 22, 25-27); "person" (Gen. 14:21; 36:6; Ex. 16:16; Lev. 27:2); and "persons" (Num. 31:35).
(4) It is used of man as exercising certain powers and preforming certain acts and is rendered "soul" eighty-one times (Gen. 27:4, 19, 25, 31;).
(5) It is used over 250 times of man as possessing appetites, desires, feelings, passions, and affections. The word soul is used with: dried away (Num. 11:6); lusteth (Deut. 12:15, 20-21); longeth (Deut. 12:20); desireth (Deut. 14:26); loatheth (Num. 21:5); refused (Job 6:7); abhorreth (Job 33:20); hunger (Prov. 13:25); appetite (Isa. 29:8); pleasure (Deut. 23:24); greedy (Isa. 56:11); clave (Gen. 34:3); anguish (Gen. 42:21); abhor (Lev. 26:11, 15, 30, 43); discouraged (Num. 21:4); seek (Deut. 4:29); love (Deut. 6:5; 11:13, 13:3); serve (Deut. 10:12); grieved, vexed (Judges 10:16; 16:16); bitterness, poured out (1 Sam. 1:10, 15); hated (2 Sam. 5:8); weary and mourn (Job 10:1; 14:22).
Such words and phrases as: taken counsel, converting, lifted up, dwell at ease, consumed with grief, in adversities, waiteth, boast, joyful, panteth, thirsteth, cast down, blessed, trusteth, satisfied, chastened, fainted, melted, filled with scorning, quieted, strengthened, afflict, and praise, are all used in Psalms in connection with the soul (Ps. 13:2; 19:7; 24:4; 25:13; 31:7-9; 33:20; 34:2; 35:9; 42:1-6; 49:18; 57:1; 63:5; 69:10; 107:5, 26; 123:4; 131:2).
(6) It is used 294 times of man being mortal subject to death and is rendered soul and life (Gen. 9:5; 12:13; 19:20; Lev. 17:11).
(7) It is used of the soul going into sheol (Ps. 16:10; 86:13; Prov. 23:14) and into the pit (Job. 33:18, 28, 30; Ps. 35:7; Isa. 38:17).
The Greek word in the New Testament for soul is psuche, and is the equivalent of the Hebrew nephesh referred to above. Psuche is the only word translated as soul in the New Testament. It is rendered soul fifty-eight times; life forty times; mind three times; and heart, heartily, us, and you once each. The following is ways it is translated.
(1) It is used of lower animals two times (Rev. 8:9; 16:3).
(2) It is used of man as an individual (Acts 2:41; 43; 3:23; 7:14; 27:37).
(3) It is used of the life of man that can be lost or saved. In this sense it is rendered both "life" (Matt. 2:20; 6:25; 16:25) and "soul" (Matt. 10:28; 16:26; Mark 8:36-37; 1 Thess. 5:23; Heb. 4:12; 10:9).
(4) It is used of the feelings of both Christ (Matt. 26:38) and of God (Matt. 12:18; Heb. 10:38). It is used of the feelings, emotions, desires, appetites, and passions of men such as "love" (Matt. 22:36-37); worship (Luke 1:46); sorrow (Luke 2:35); comfort (Luke 12:19); trouble (John 12:27); fear (Acts 3:23); unity (Acts 4:32); evil (Rom. 2:9); submission (Rom. 12:1); life (1 Cor. 15:45); hope (Heb. 6:19); lusts (1 Pet. 2:11); vexation (2 Pet. 2:8); and other things proving that the soul is that which feels. see also Matt. 11:29; Luke 21:19.

Last edited:
Which part makes our physical part execute sin?

Matthew 15:19
For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander.

I think we now realize heart means mind or brain. So within our brain lies our mind. So does sin originate within our flesh? I was thinking we were comprised of mind, body, and soul.

Ezekiel 36:25-27
"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26"Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27"I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.

Thread starter #3

For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, and slander.

I think we now realize heart means mind or brain. So within our brain lies our mind. So does sin originate within our flesh? I was thinking we were comprised of mind, body, and soul.

"Then I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your filthiness and from all your idols. 26"Moreover, I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; and I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh. 27"I will put My Spirit within you and cause you to walk in My statutes, and you will be careful to observe My ordinances.
The soul of man is the seat of his affections, emotions, appetites, desires, and all feelings.
The spirit of man is the intellect, will, mind, conscience, and other faculties that make him a free moral agent and a rational being.

The human body. That is earthly. The spirit and the soul are one in the same. Temptation is a powerful tool used by the devil.

Let me rephrase,

Is sin physical or spiritual?
That's what I was getting at. If it's our conscience and/or desires that make our physical body sin, then does that make it our soul or spirit that originate sin?

Example; my fist may hit someone in anger but the anger came from my heart. Heart being __________.

Physical. But God new this that's why he sent his Son.
Then our desire or conscience is just coming from a physical part of our brain, correct? When scripture says "heart" it means brain. Regardless you think it's a physical part of us.

Thus this is why Jesus had to be a man. Didn't he also have the soul or spirit of this man?

Then our desire or conscience is just coming from a physical part of our brain, correct? When scripture says "heart" it means brain. Regardless you think it's a physical part of us.

Thus this is why Jesus had to be a man. Didn't he also have the soul or spirit of this man?
Our desire yes not conscience. Yes I believe it is Physical.

the "heart" is not pnysical ,

Yiu do not believe with your brain, you know with your brain,, we know or learn with our brains.

We believe in the non physical with out hearts

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved

Mar 9:47
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into CensoredCensoredCensoredCensored fire:

The spiritual is far more important than the physical.

Jesus gave His physical to save your spiritual

Mat 5:28
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart

Sinned before the body did anything

the "heart" is not pnysical ,

Yiu do not believe with your brain, you know with your brain,, we know or learn with our brains.

We believe in the non physical with out hearts

Rom 10:9
That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved
I disagree I know things with my spirit not what my brain is telling me.

What do we receive with our new spiritual birth that we didn't already have? Besides the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, do we get a new spirit or just help controlling our old spirit in terms of sin?

Your unrepentamt spirit is beforehand "dead" or unresponsive to spiritual stimuli.

God quickens us to be able to respond spiritually

We respond positively to repentance, or negatively to punishment.

Jesus said we first must be born physically then born again spiritually

What do we receive with our new spiritual birth that we didn't already have? Besides the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, do we get a new spirit or just help controlling our old spirit in terms of sin?
I think it goes to the core of good and evil. You never get a new spirit. You get a new reality of what is the truth. And how you choose to live.