Marietta Fishing

I am a student at Southern Poly in Marietta, and school just got out for the summer semester, so it's time to catch up on some fishing. I don't have much spare time between classes and work, but would like to find a close location around where I can go with some friends.

I haven't been able to find many places to fish around here, and was wondering if anyone had some input on smaller lakes and ponds that were decent for bass/bream. Thanks.

-RT-

Last edited:

creekrunner

I went to Southern Tech in the early eighties and I use to go up to Lake Marvin at Johns mountain above Calhoun.It's a pretty good drive, but I always thought it was worth it.They use to rent boats for five bucks at the girl scout camp, don't know if they still do (I'm sure it wouldn't be five bucks anymore). It is a beautiful small lake and we use to catch a lot of bream out of it.

Randall

How close are you looking for ?

I know a few places but none are real close to there. You would have to drive at least 30 minutes away. Some are small ponds and others are small lakes. How close are you looking for ?

Well, my parents still live in Grayson (Gwinnett Co.), so I go home on occasion and fish there. About a 30 minute radius is about as far as I would want to go.

Randall

In Grayson I like Tribble Mill. Despite all the bad publicity about there not being anything but small fish in there. I have proved the rumors wrong on more than one occasion. I drive all the way from Douglasville to fish Tribble Mill. Near Marrieta you can go to GB"s pay lake off Hurt Road. Off the East West Connector there is a small pond in a park If you take Cooper Lake Road to the south toward Mableton you will see a sign for a park on your right after a couple of miles. Turn there and you will see the park and pond before you cross the train tracks. Lake Acworth is a small lake that feeds into Alatoona. It has a lot of big bass as well as some big catfish. I fish Sweetwater Creek State Park in Lithia Springs a few times a week and with no traffic you may be able to get there in 30min. It can be tough to fish at times because the fish get pressured pretty good. The Park has more visitors than any other state park in GA. I still catch plenty of fish there though. There is a pond behind Tapp Middle School in Powder Springs. It has good bass fishing even though it is not fished much. I think the park behind the school is called Wildhorse Creek Park and that is where the pond is.If you want to go as far as Douglasville I know a few more but I think they will be more like 45min away.