Marine Grease?

mbentle2

Just bought my first boat used. What grease should I use on my outboard and boat trailer? Some of the areas the online manual says to grease don’t have a grease fitting, do I just rub it on there? Can the same grease be used on the prop? I want to help keep the boat in good condition. Thank y’all.

GoldDot40

Anywhere there's bearings and anywhere that pivots or rotates. If there's no grease fitting, then yes, I would take apart the component and make sure it has adequate grease...not too much and not too little. Yes, I would use marine grease if I had a choice...but even regular wheel bearing grease is better than nothing.

JackSprat

Grease is pretty much grease. Any high quality grease will do if it is regularly applied. You don't need a different grease for each purpose, except repacking wheel bearings.

if an area needs grease and doesn't have a fitting , it's a pretty easy job to install a grease (zerk) fitting.

Some areas you grease for rust protection and lubrication, without a fitting. For example the arms that control trim and the pin that holds the motor to set trim are usually kept grease so all that doesn't bind up when you want to make a change.

BTW, if your trailer doesn't have them on the wheels, Bearing Buddies or some similar product wll help you keep the wheel bearings greased. Nothing more fun than coming home after 10 hours of fishing at about 8 p.m. in the absolute middle of nowhere and have a wheel bearing seize. Trust me. Always carried a spare hub after that,