Marlin 336 Texan

Jester896

Senior Clown
Seems I am on a lever gun kick. I got rid of my 30-30 maybe 20 or so years ago. I decided if I was going to get another it might as well be unique.

Found what I thought was a pretty good deal on one (sight unseen). I picked it up this evening and man was I surprised! It appears that it was manufactured in '82 from the serial number look up I used and that is what I was told by the seller. He also told me there was hardly a mark on it...dang if that wasn't true too. I am finding conflicting dates for the 18.5" barrel. Some places say 80-83...some say 82 only. I need to search that some more.

Attachments

• IMG_1917.jpg
    IMG_1917.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Chamber.jpg
    Chamber.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 320
  • Barrel.jpg
    Barrel.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 322
  • Stock.jpg
    Stock.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 322

Cool little rifles. I had one some time ago but it got gone to finance a nasty Ruger no. 1 habit. Congrats! 021

sbroadwell

Great, well made rifle. I've got a 336 in .35, made in 1969.

Such a shame what happened to Marlin.

Jester896

Senior Clown
Cool little rifles. I had one some time ago but it got gone to finance a nasty Ruger no. 1 habit. Congrats! 021

was yours the 18.5" or the 20"?

I could get a #1 habit...closest thing I have to it is a High Wall.

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
I love your latest find. I have always loved Marlins and have a bunch of them in various calibers.

The good thing with your new find is that it doesn't have the crazy "lawyer required" Cross-Bolt Safety on it which came about during mid-1983.

You can easily find out every detail of your new found gun by checking out the Marlinowners.com website. In fact, you could probably get this information very quickly as there are some really smart Marlin members on that website. Their website is very similar to here on GON as the members are very helpful on both sites. Of course, it doesn't cost anything to join there either so free information is great.

Many years ago, I actually found out about this GON website from a member on the Marlin website. In fact, there are lots of members here on GON that are also members on Marlinowners too.

I hope that you will enjoy this new gun for a really long time too. :cheers:

Clink this link for more info on Marlins:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

tom ga hunter

I have a 336T with a 18.5" bbl, it was made in 1983. Over the last few years I have been collecting Marlin lever actions.. A 336lts with a 16.5", a 336A with a 24", and a bunch of 39a's including a 39ADL which is the gem of my collection.

Last edited:

Bam Bam

Subtract the First Two #'s of the Serial # from 100 and that'll be the Year Model Of The Rifle!

Jester896

Senior Clown
I love your latest find. I have always loved Marlins and have a bunch of them in various calibers.

The good thing with your new find is that it doesn't have the crazy "lawyer required" Cross-Bolt Safety on it which came about during mid-1983.

You can easily find out every detail of your new found gun by checking out the Marlinowners.com website. In fact, you could probably get this information very quickly as there are some really smart Marlin members on that website. Their website is very similar to here on GON as the members are very helpful on both sites. Of course, it doesn't cost anything to join there either so free information is great.

Many years ago, I actually found out about this GON website from a member on the Marlin website. In fact, there are lots of members here on GON that are also members on Marlinowners too.

I hope that you will enjoy this new gun for a really long time too. :cheers:

Clink this link for more info on Marlins:

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

Thanks, I am a member there but mostly read. I searched it once but need to follow up

Here's my 336 Texan

Will have to check the SN and barrel length tonight.

Marlin 336 Texan by X Ring, on Flickr

Nice!...looks longer than mine. Mine doesn't even have sling swivels.

wareagle700

I looked last night and mine is a 1968 336RC with 20" barrel. Been in the family since then and will be my sons one day.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I will say this..36 grs of 748 under 170 Interlocks sends flame and sparks out the end of this thing longer than the rifle...moves about 2198 on the Lab too. :D

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Nice guns!. And I can relate, I am partial to lever action myself.

krizia829

Here's my 336 Texan

Will have to check the SN and barrel length tonight.

Marlin 336 Texan by X Ring, on Flickr
Did it come with that wood from the factory? Looks like the stock may have been replaced and wood doesn't match.. It would look even better with that lighter wood on the fore grip! Either way, it's a beautiful rifle!!

wareagle700

Yeah it's all factory. Lighting in he photo makes it look lighter than it really is.

Papa Bear

Cool find! I have a early 80's 336 in .35 that has saw the back of the safe for too long. I'm on a kick to dust it off for deer season and hope she's good for another "notch" on the stock!

Jester896

Senior Clown
Mine has a couple of lighter streaks in them
IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg
picture really don't show how much lighter it is. I like the character in wareagle700 buttstock.