Marlin 35 Remington - Update

35 Whelen

My new (to me) JM stamped Marlin 336 in 35 Remington manufactured in 1976. I put a DNZ Game Reaper one piece mount and a Leupold VX I 2-7x33mm scope on it. Look forward to getting it sighted in at the range and using it this coming season!

Update: Finally got to the range to see how this Marlin shoots. Trigger is not bad for a factory trigger.

The first target is at 55 yards. The top 3 shots are with Remington 200 grain Core-Lokt round nose soft point. The 3 shots at the bottom are with Hornady Leverevolution 200 grain FTX.

The second target is at 100 yards all with the Hornady Leverevolution. First 2 shots were high so I made a slight adjustment on the scope and then shot the 3 shot group.

Attachments

• 100_1663[1].jpg
    100_1663[1].jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 886
  • 100_1664[1].jpg
    100_1664[1].jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 894
  • 100_1665[1].jpg
    100_1665[1].jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 902
  • 100_1709.JPG
    100_1709.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 100_1710.JPG
    100_1710.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Nice!!! I have one and it's a shooter. Really like that mount, may need to upgrade mine to that before next season.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
looks like that mount almost ran out of eye relief

I really like my .35 336's. Especially with the Leverevolution ammo

Gaswamp

I like it

oldfatbubba

Like it, 35 Whelen! I’ve got one of its older siblings, also in 35 Rem and made in 1974, that likes 200gr Sierra Pro Hunters on top of Hodgdon LVR powder. How’s the trigger?

Rabun

My new (to me) JM stamped Marlin 336 in 35 Remington manufactured in 1976. I put a DNZ Game Reaper one piece mount and a Leupold VX I 2-7x33mm scope on it. Look forward to getting it sighted in at the range and using it this coming season!

That's looking great! I have the same gun made in '72 and it shoots great. I have one DNZ mount and really like it, but it's not on my 336. Let us know how your sight'in goes. I'm sure it's a shooter. Enjoy!

Beautiful rifle, Congrats! I've always liked the .35, but have ended up with Marlins in .356 & .375. Very similar to the .35 and I find them to be near perfect woods deer rifles.

swamp hunter

200 Grains of Thump right there.
Sweet Rifle....
I shoot, among other guns a 35 Break barrel CVA .
No need for 2 shots with The Thumper.

JohnyBlaze999

I was leaning towards the Marlin myself.

I've had a hankering for a Marlin 336 .35 Remington for a while now. I've heard that the Marlins are built better than the Winchesters. I don't know this for a fact, just what I've heard from several people.

PappyHoel

Shot my first deer with the Marlin 35 and still have it. I doubt I would ever sell it.

Reactions: TAG

slow motion

Very nice sir. I have a Marlin chambered in 35 as well. Killed quite a few deer and hogs with it. Now that I think about it this past season was the first time I took a deer with a rifle that wasn't a lever action. Either 30/30 or a 35. After all these years guess I still like playing cowboy.

tcward

Got a ‘76 model just like that. Running a Millet mount set up with a Nikon 2-7. I handload the Hornady 200 FTX. Put you a Wild West trigger in that baby and you will have one sweet setup!

EAGLE EYE 444

King Casanova
35 Whelen,

You have real gem there. These older Marlin rifles with a vintage of pre-mid 1983 are some of the very best made in my opinion. This time period in mid 1983 was when the "lawyer-safety" feature was first added to their manufacturing. :mad::mad::mad:

I have Marlins of various calibers that were manufactured from 1936, 1965, 1972, 1979 (2), 1981(3) and also in 2004. Thankfully, only one of these have that crazy Cross-Block safety feature and even though I hate that feature, I had always wanted a Model 39A, 22 caliber Marlin and I waited until 2004 before I bought one. I also paid way too much for the actual value of this gun to me. I have only shot this rifle less than 100 times and I absolutely HATE this dang safety because it WILL make you cuss a blue streak when shooting it. This is the ONE Marlin that I need to sell because I really didn't need it as much as I thought that I did.

I have hunted exclusively with my Marlin rifles since back in the early 1980's and they are somewhat light-weight and very easy to handle.

The fact is, I don't own a 35 caliber Marlin BUT I have lots of friends that have owned them since back in the 1960's and they are all still functioning perfectly over all of these years. They definitely have a tremendous amount of knock-down power and were always capable of making some much longer range shots than the 30-30 caliber rifles. With the Hornady LEVERevolution ammo, those original long range shots are even capable of more longer range shots these days.

I have loved Marlins for many years now as I have had lots of friends that worked for and retired from Marlin Firearms in their Connecticut plant. The demise of Marlin happened when Remington became involved and ultimately ruined a GREAT company by ultimately closing the Connecticut manufacturing plant and put lots of very skilled workers out of work. :banginghe:banginghe:banginghe

I hope that you enjoy your Marlin as much as I have enjoyed mine over all of these years.

If any of you Marlin owners need any questions answered about your Marlins, you can easily check out the MarlinOwners website which is just like this GON site as it also has lots of super nice members that can answer any questions about any kind of Marlin firearm. I know there are lots of members there that are also members here because that is how I originally found out about this GON website originally and I am surely glad that I did. I have been a member there for many years now and I also have the same screen name on both websites. My late wife had her own Forum on the MarlinOwners site for several years before she passed away too.

Click: http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/

dank1296

Killed first deer a 7 pointer in Oglethorpe county 1977 when i was 15 with 336 open sights. Still hunt with one although not my original one which i sold back in 80s . Anyone else having trouble finding the 200 gr ammo now also.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've always wanted a .35, but never owned one yet.