Marlin 444 ammo ?

frogtownbuck

I'm the proud owner of an older marlin 444s, 1972 model to be exact. Been looking for one I liked for years and finally found it on here so thanks GON. My question is,what is y'alls favorite deer hunting round for this gun? Feel free to add pics of your gun cause we all like seeing these older rifles. Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Buckman18

I dont have a 444, but i do have a 45-70, and have killed several bucks, bears, and hogs with the Hornady 325 gr leverevolution. The vast majority of what ive shot experienced instant death.

jpm2953

I had a 2001 444p that would shoot one hole groups with the 325gr lever revolution stuff.
I think the older ones had a different twist rate though.

I'm the proud owner of an older marlin 444s, 1972 model to be exact. Been looking for one I liked for years and finally found it on here so thanks GON. My question is,what is y'alls favorite deer hunting round for this gun? Feel free to add pics of your gun cause we all like seeing these older rifles. Thanks guys I appreciate the info.

Congratulations on a GREAT find... I've owned three .444s, still have one. I first owned a .444S, then two .444Ps and kept a modified .444P as my favorite. I took big game with all three including several bucks, a black bear and hog. I've used both Hornady offerings with equal success on my hunts. The bullets are pretty similar; one a 265gr JFN, and a 265gr FTX pointed, both at about 2400FPS

The Lever evolution load has a bit better trajectory and allows for a MPBR of around 225yds

A picture from when I still had all three .444s, and couple of the bucks I have taken with the .444 and the bear taken in Maine.

thumbnail-26.jpeg

thumbnail-25.jpeg

1114130856b.jpg

2014 Kentucky.jpg

thumbnail-24.jpeg

Nimrod71

I got my first 444 round in the mid sixties, couldn't afford the rifle so I just bought a cartridge, idea was to buy one a week and save up for a rifle, didn't make it, car got my savings. I did get one in mid seventies, it was the first model with straight English style stock and 24 inch barrel. I still have it along with a 80 mod. before the safety button. Your question, I load a 265 grain bullet over 43 gr. of IMR 4198. Let me tell you it will kill deer by the truck load, or anything else that walks around here. Don't try it on rabbits, there want be enough left to boil, I did, bad mistake. The load shoots true and the recoil isn't bad if you are use to it. I have killed a lot of deer with the old rifle. Have a weaver 3 power scope with post for moving targets. Good luck and enjoy a great rifle.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
I don't have a factory favorite. Most factory loads are anemic, especially the Rem. 240 gr.

This is my go to, handloaded...hammers a whitetail hard.t1.jpg