Marsh Hen advice.

Jaz86

A friend and I tried Marsh Hen hunting for the first time the other day. Everything we had read said to go on a 9 ft tide( which we did) and to pole through the Marsh, that there were plenty of birds to be seen. We only saw 3 Durning a 4 hour hunt. Is there anything to look for in particular to find areas that hold birds? TIA.

across the river

They is similar to wood ducks or doves in the sense that they are migratory but you have some here nesting. That means the ones here in October are typically gone by December and the ones here in December and January came down from up North. That means you will get some ups and downs in numbers like any other migratory bird due to timing, weather, etc.... The place you went may be covered up next week.

Redman54

The higher the tide, the better. If they can run, they will not fly. When the tide is really high, they will be on the floating mats of old marsh grass. Take a long pole and beat the thick patches as you pole through. You will know they are there when you hear them "laugh" at you. When one chimes off, they all chime-in. We are covered up at our coast house. We hunt them on low tide, walking with my English Cocker, she'll flush them, then retrieve them. Works great for us.

Uptonongood

I’ve seen these birds submerge themselves under water, no kidding. Position your boat at the mouth of a feeder creek on or very near the sound on the high incoming tide. Tour Motor so no one can say your were under power during your hunt. Ease up the creek with the tide, banging on the side of the boat to make noise. Watch for marsh wrack, lots of times birds will stack up on it. Ease up the creek keeping eyes near and far for birds. When you shoot one and need to use your motor to get to it, be sure you are no longer holding your shotgun. Get your bird, kill the motor, tilt it, then pick the gun up. You only need a 20 gauge, too.

My buddy and I never hunted clappers without getting our limits. The challenge is cooking them to taste good.

oh, never hunt in the salt marsh with a good gun. We gave our guns a bath in a tub of Really hot hot water which evaporated away then spray the heck out of them with protectant.