mayhaw

ucfireman

Anyone local got a source of mayhaw seeds? I would like to start some for along my creek.
Also would be interested in pawpaw seeds if anyone has them.
Metro area or by mail?

Coop

If you wanted to get a leg up on the process you could call Sunbright Farms and get the seedlings for $3 each - they also have PawPaw. I bought 2 Mayhaws last year along with a variety of other trees and the Mayhaws are now well over 6 ft. I planted with tubes and we got plenty of water this spring which helped. Their trees were all very high quality. Good Luck!!
http://sunbrightfarms.com

ucfireman

Have seen his ads, was planning on this if I couldn't find seeds.
Where did you get the tubes? The ones I looked at were 7+ each. But havent looked for them in a while.

Coop

That sounds about right. I think I found a bargain once and got the 5 ft. tubes for about $4 each but don't remember where it was. For some reason I want to say it was a NWTF deal but never saw it repeated through them. I know I bought some from Tree Protection Supply and Forestry Suppliers. I'm sure there are plenty of folks making them but I have used Plantra and Tubex and both seem fine. The Tubex Combitube was my most recent purchase and that's what I used with the Mayhaws. They are half solid and half ventilated - make sure to put the solid portion to the ground. Yes, I learned that the hard way when my Roundup went through the vents and killed a few young trees. I know I spend too much money but my trees are my babies...:cool::cool: