Mazda CX5

Cobra

O.k. So I thought I had it all figured out on a new vehicle six months ago. Honda CRV, good gas mileage plus long lasting. ( 20,000 miles a year or more is normal). Fast forward found out too much about their turbo engine and CVT transmissions. The new Toyota Rav 4 is fine but the ride is rougher than the Honda. I read a lot of reviews on the Mazda CX5. Does anyone know anything about Mazda? All I know is they have been around awhile and do look really good. Thinking about these really hard.

normaldave

GON Weatherman
Are you shopping brand new or newer used?
Do you plan to keep it a long time or is resale value important?
All wheel drive or front wheel drive?
I'm usually looking for "the mostest for the leastest" and usually veer off the beaten path, and I'm a bit biased...
Slightly used?, good gas mileage?, reliability?, don't care much about resale value?, (except when you are on the buying side), consider a newer Mitsubishi Outlander. Downside might be limited dealer support in your area, but these days, that's not too big of an issue. Folks that give them a chance, seem to really like them and the overall value they offer. Style takes a bit of getting used to. Compared to the competition, it just seems to offer a lot more for the dollar, especially used.

They just don't seem to get a fair shake from the new car reviewers, owners give them high marks:
Edmunds owner reviews Outlander

Example in Acworth, used, GT V6 AWD, been in inventory awhile, maybe ready to deal. Compare features and price to others in similar category. Quite capable 4WD system for a car-based SUV.
Outlander GT 2018

FWIW, folks that have Mazdas that I know of seem to like them pretty well too.

Last edited:

Eudora

I would stay away from turbo engines which really may limit your choices. At the AAPEX auto parts show in Vegas this past October, it was obvious turbo repairs were going to be a big replacement item in the coming years as everybody was adding this to their product mix. Premium gas and longer warm-ups and cool downs are needed to keep them from an early demise. Wife's Acura has one and I cringe every time I have buy the expensive stuff at the pump. I know the 1 ton and up pickup owners will say theirs has lasted for many-many years, but they have more space under the hood to dissipate heat. These turbos are crammed under the hood on smaller cars. Something to think about ....

normaldave

GON Weatherman
I think the horse is still twitching a bit this morning...
A reasonable, accurate, review below. Consider one of these lightly used, priced around the high teens, low $20s. 8.5" ground clearance is about equal to a Nissan Frontier Pro 4X truck. The GT version has the V6 and 6 speed sportronic transmission, which I would prefer. Very few vehicles have the options and features for the price in the used market.
Outlander SEL AWD review

Off road testing

ClemsonRangers

O.k. So I thought I had it all figured out on a new vehicle six months ago. Honda CRV, good gas mileage plus long lasting. ( 20,000 miles a year or more is normal). Fast forward found out too much about their turbo engine and CVT transmissions. The new Toyota Rav 4 is fine but the ride is rougher than the Honda. I read a lot of reviews on the Mazda CX5. Does anyone know anything about Mazda? All I know is they have been around awhile and do look really good. Thinking about these really hard.

you can still get the non-turbo 2.4L engine on the CRV

Cobra

Thanks guys. The turbo is what steered me mostly away from the Honda. We can get one but the non turbo only comes in the base pkg. Looking to get a new vehicle to drive at least 200,000 or more. My wife's Ford Edge has 190,000 and still one of the best cars we have ever had (bought new). I will look at the Mitsubishi and VW too. Thanks for the heads up.

au7126

Drive cars for Enterprise Rental and see all brands. When we deliver them new they all seem good -- great. When we pick them up to be resold is when the real car comes out. The Mazda is good and I would try to stay away from the turbo on all models. Kia and Hyundai have really got their act together also. One of our jobs is taking cars to dealers for repairs so we see the problems that pop up in the first year.

Eudora

VW's are good, but before you push the button on buying one, talk to your favorite mechanic who works on your other cars (they will one day be out of warranty). VW software for scan tools is proprietary and not a lot of garages don't have enough of them pulling into their bays to invest in it. Asian vehicles use a common software, but your Euro vehicles are all different.

WishboneW

I have 45 yrs experience with a global rent a car co.

That Mazda you are considering is a great choice. Great customer acceptance, great resale value, minimal maintenance costs and good gas mileage.

Check with your insurance company on which is more expensive to insure.

transfixer

VW's are good, but before you push the button on buying one, talk to your favorite mechanic who works on your other cars (they will one day be out of warranty). VW software for scan tools is proprietary and not a lot of garages don't have enough of them pulling into their bays to invest in it. Asian vehicles use a common software, but your Euro vehicles are all different.

Not only that but VW engineers think differently than other car engineers evidently, they are notorious for making things difficult to work on, some parts are quite pricey and hard to find sometimes, a lot of shops won't work on VW vehicles because they are a pain in general.