Memory of Duck Hunting with Dad

Bones

Do not know why but have been thinking of past memories with my Dad. Not only was he my father he was my best friend. When about 12 years old I finally got to go duck hunting with Dad. I could not wait or sleep all night long. I was like one of his bird dogs when it was time to go hunting, antsy could not sit still, jumping around. You know what I mean. I could not close one eye to look down the barrel of the single shot 410 Dad let me use. I stayed up half the night practicing until I could close one eye by itself. The night before we went and cut palm fronds to stick in the ground in the water for a blind. Winter time cold and an old set of rubber waders to wear. Got up the next morning got dressed hooked the boat up and picked my uncle up. Got to the lake pitch black unloaded the boat and headed to the spot we were to duck hunt. Parked the boat got out and waded to the spots we were to hunt and stuck the palm fronds in the water in the ground. Did I say it was cold? Got our shotguns and went to our blinds. I could not wait for daylight I was about to pee in my waders. The sun started rising I can still see it on the horizon. Oh what a beautiful morning. The ducks started flying but not near me so my Dad hollered at me to move my blind. While moving the blind I stepped in a hole and filled my waders up with water. Talk about cold but I was not going to say anything. I hunted all morning in waders full of water. We killed some duck and I killed one green wing teal. Have you ever heard the teal flying overhead and the wind coming off their wings sounding like and airplane. When we left and got back to the boat my uncle told me to get in the boat. Of course with my waders full of water I could not lift my leg up to get in the boat. My uncle grabbed me by the seat of the waders and tipped me in the boat. When my head went down all the water poured out of the waders into the boat. He and Dad started laughing and could not believe I stood out in the cold with waders full of water. I was not going to say anything to ruin being with my Dad. What a day. Just rambling.

Bones

Redbow

Hey, its a good ramble remembering your Dad is always a worthy thing to do. Thanks for the story.