Metal Detecting and Gold Panning

kevinstan

My father in law and I have recently got into metal detecting and gold panning. Turned it into a family thing and now have the wives and kids interested. Looking for somewhere to go. I am fairly new to both, and know there are some strict laws on it, and though I am still doing some research I was wondering if anyone knew of some good places to go - of if anyone has some land they would allow us to go on. Any information would be great - I have been google searching as much as possible but I would like to find a few good places to go. Thanks to everyone in advance!

JackSprat

You can pan for gold all over the National Forest. Metal detectors are kind if iffy because of artifact hunters which is a big no=no on the NF.

TimBray

Just so you know, metal detecting is not allowed in State Parks either. When I was a working at Fort Yargo I caught a guy detecting and digging big holes. Thought I was going to have to call in the PD to get him to stop. facepalm:

3ringer

You can detect in most city parks, school yards and beaches. Me and my daughter found over 200 coins , 7 rings and a 14k gold Superman medalion in Panama City Beach . The rings were all cheap rings. We searched in front of our condo. My daughter found a 1925 Standing Liberty Quarter in a volleyball court in an elementary school. Look at the website the treasure depot.com . There is a ton of metal detecting information there.

kevinstan

Thanks for the info guys. I was thinking about checking out some school yards but have heard of people having issues with police not knowing the rules, and running people off from doing that. I will keep doing some research online. I don't make it to the beach much - so I was trying to find some local spots to check out. Anyone have any old property in or around Newnan they want to share? :)

PappyHoel

Yes good info. I have a good metal detector it just seems hard to find places that allow it.

JackSprat

I was thinking about checking out some school yards but have heard of people having issues with police not knowing the rules, and running people off from doing that.

School yards are still private property, and you need permission to be there when school is not in session.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
School yards are still private property, and you need permission to be there when school is not in session.

school yards are public propery, I always thought. Never asked to go walk around the track in the evenings, nor to get out and throw a frisbee around the football field on Sundays.

JackSprat

school yards are public propery, I always thought. Never asked to go walk around the track in the evenings, nor to get out and throw a frisbee around the football field on Sundays.

There is no such thing as "public property". All real property is owned by some agency, branch of the government, or private owner. Just because the owner chooses to not exercise its ownership rights in specific instance does not mean those rights don't exist.

Whatever you do there you are doing with the permission of the owner.