Midwest advice

REDMOND1858

My family (wife and 2 young girls) is hoping to head west in the next year or 2. Not sure exactly where to, and budget will decide for how long. Basically looking to do a loop once we cross the Mississippi. Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, after that we’re unsure. Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas are all in the mix.
My daughters show livestock and love rodeo, so we’re planning on heading out there during the Houston livestock show and rodeo to get a day or 2 of that in. The stockyards in Fort Worth seem interesting. Hopefully his will be the first of many trips out there, so I don’t mind if I miss out on some things but what would y’all recommend being a must see out there. Something that would be good for the whole family. Places to eat, things to do, roads to drive, landmarks, parks, you name it. We just want to get the most out of the long drive and find the best places to stop along the way. Thank y’all

REDMOND1858

Let me add, I never turn down a good steak, but If offered a jam up brisket, I’d take the brisket all day long. Iv has decent brisket here in Ga, but iv never had a very good one. If there is one thing I’m not going to miss on this trip, it’s going to be Brisket. Y’all just tell me where to get it

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
If y'all like rodeos, try to make it up to Cheyenne WY for Frontier Days. Usually the end of July. You can find a decent steak out that way, too.

BriarPatch99

I have done the North Alabama, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana and West Florida loop several times ....

Plenty to do along the way ...

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
All have a lot to offer, get away from the interstate to get the true feeling.

lginga

Just got back from 2 weeks in Montana, Wyoming and visited Yellowstone. Stayed 11 nights in Livingston Mt, 1 in Yellowstone and 1 in Cody, Wy. There were rodeos etc everywhere we went including the famous one held every night all summer in Cody. Livingston has a big bull riding event that gets a lot of publicity. Heard so much about the thing in Livingston I would like to go back. Food along the Interstates is what it is everywhere but all the small towns have decent food but get ready for a lot of beef, burgers and steaks. Real saloons are still called saloons and most have good food in the back. The closer you get to Idaho they pile on the potatoes. Envy your opportunity!

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
If you go thru Kansas Stop in Dodge City. They have a great rodeo i think it's in August or Sept. Not real sure. The Boot Hill museum is a pretty cool place. You can get a genuine glass of Sarsaparilla or a mug of cold beer too!!

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
Also if you're out there in the fall catch a small town football game. Most of KS and the midwest is 8 man football.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
I would recommend the S.E. part of Kansas.
Coffeeville has a good historical sense.
That's where the Dalton gang met their end.

shdw633

If you do come through Arkansas then make plans to stop at Greers Ferry, very nice place and bring fishing poles!! Also Branson and Table Rock Lake are also nice to visit.

turkeykirk

Let me add, I never turn down a good steak, but If offered a jam up brisket, I’d take the brisket all day long. Iv has decent brisket here in Ga, but iv never had a very good one. If there is one thing I’m not going to miss on this trip, it’s going to be Brisket. Y’all just tell me where to get it

If you like steak and go through Amarillo TX you might want to check this place out.:biggrin3:

https://www.bigtexan.com/

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Eureka springs Ark. is a great place for a day trip.
Mark twain state park in Stoutsville Missouri is also a neat place to visit.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Bentonville Ark. also has Crystal Bridges,Walmart museum.
Does eat place will fill you up quick.

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
I go to Fort Worth several times a year and usually stay near the Stockyards. It's definitely an interesting place but I would check the calendar of events around when you want visit; if there's nothing going on, it might be a bit dull. Check out Billy Bobs, the White Elephant, and a couple other places. They Stockyards Hotel is cool to stay at but it can be a little pricey depending on what kind of events are in town.

First time I went there, I saw a man casually riding a long horn like a horse in the park...