Might have saved a fawn yesterday

Bullochcountyhunter

Went to Tuckahoe looking for hogs yesterday morning. No hogs seen and very little sign found. Around 930 was watching a strip of swamp bottom when I noticed a doe and her fawn fast walking around the edge where swamp meets hardwoods. Less than 30 sec later seen the cause for the concern. One lone big coyote hot on their trail. It decided to stop and I gave it a permanent headache. No pics, wasn't gonna wade the slough to get a pic of a varmint.

Al Medcalf

I'm no song dog lover by any means........I raise sheep and they will steal a lamb if they get half a chance. But, folks are always harping about yotes killing fawns and then they kill does that are nursing late fawns this time of year. It's not near as cruel for a yote to kill and eat a fawn as it is for a fawn to starve because it's mother was killed/

Mark K

Banned
I'm no song dog lover by any means........I raise sheep and they will steal a lamb if they get half a chance. But, folks are always harping about yotes killing fawns and then they kill does that are nursing late fawns this time of year. It's not near as cruel for a yote to kill and eat a fawn as it is for a fawn to starve because it's mother was killed/
What state do you live in? I’d say 90% of our does have weaned the fawns already. Probably more than that. I see one trying to get a quick sip every now and then but momma normally answers that with a swift kick. Our fawns are already grazing.
And I don’t know anyone personally who shoots does with spotted fawns. If they’ve lost their spots then momma is fair game. Those fawns will do fine all by themselves.

Al Medcalf

Georgia.....I still see fawns with spots from time to time

Mark K

Banned
I got fawns with spots eating corn/protein out of a trough feeder. Pretty sure they’re weaned right now. And like I stated, don’t know of anyone that shoots mommas with spotted fawns.

Bullochcountyhunter

Normally by now 90% of the fawns around here are weaned and some are even losing spots. But I have noticed the last couple of years we have had a abudance of late born fawns. The one in question here was one of them, it was a lil feller. And I go by the feeling of for every coyote I kill there are hundreds more that I don't. Watched a pack of 5 run down a hog and kill it very close to this same place two years ago. Was too far to shoot with number 5's. And I for one will never kill a nursing fawns mother. Heck I won't even shoot a spotted, even faded, fawn. I've got one doe that comes to camera 3 times a day with her fawn. I've watched this pair this year since the lil one could walk. They are off limits till later in season if I still need freezer meat.

Bullochcountyhunter

What state do you live in? I’d say 90% of our does have weaned the fawns already. Probably more than that. I see one trying to get a quick sip every now and then but momma normally answers that with a swift kick. Our fawns are already grazing.
And I don’t know anyone personally who shoots does with spotted fawns. If they’ve lost their spots then momma is fair game. Those fawns will do fine all by themselves.
Guess I should have read all the new posts lol