Miller county

twtabb

I have not been in woods yet. Had a drone fly over to survey loss. I haven’t even watched it. I had 75 acres with catastrophic loss. Hope to clear cut it next week. Will salvage the other 100 acres of planted and volunteer pines. I am afraid hardwood bottoms will be terrible.
Can’t decide to clean up after loggers or just let it rot.

HIGH COUNTRY

An absolute giant was killed yesterday in our area.

Chasing a doe, i thought kinda early for really mature buck like that - I mean he is a stud!

May be biggest one harvested that I have ever seen from the area...

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our club lucked out and didn't get much damage from the hurricane. Only because all our mature timber has been harvested in stages, and replanted. Young pines of 15 feet high and shorter took the storm well for the most part. Live oaks didn't fair so well, the storm took many of them down, and across our roads. Tower stands, all but two were laid down. Ladder stands, some survived, some didn't, depending on which way the tree fell. Hurricane got my roof, waiting on new metal roofing to replace the entire roof. Also got a shed, fence and several large trees. We're still cleaning up. Cancer surgery and the hurricane kept me from hunting until a couple weeks ago. And then I've only hunted about 8 days total. Got one 9 point, two does and several hogs so far. Just this week did our camera's begin getting photo's of older bucks, so the rut hasn't began in our woods. Guess the rut will begin about the second week of Dec. Because scrapes are showing up in great numbers, even in the food plots. It's wet, our woods are floating, and the rains we're experiencing now wont help matters much. Have some stand we can't get too without a boat, so they might not get hunted this season. I've killed the only buck in our club so far. Having to deal with the hurricane aftermath is keeping many from hunting. Hope they get in the woods soon, I like em to be around, and sharing camp too.

Attachments

• Nov2018.jpg
    Nov2018.jpg
    325.2 KB · Views: 30

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
My new office for this deer season. have a door on it now. Comfortable enough to take naps in. Of course i'll have a trail camera watching so I will know if I missed anything.

Attachments

• IMG_20180414_130451539.jpg
    IMG_20180414_130451539.jpg
    630.7 KB · Views: 23

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
After this piebald buck this season. He hasn't shown up yet, hope he does. If I get him, will make my forth piebald buck. If something better comes along, might take them instead. Can't be too darn picky.

Attachments

• SUNP0035.jpg
    SUNP0035.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 15

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hurry cane got us, but we're ok and are getting things back in order. Hope all y'all are getting back to normal as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20181011_080109241.jpg
    IMG_20181011_080109241.jpg
    396.5 KB · Views: 18

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Trail cameras are showing too many coyotes and hogs. Not enough deer. My group better get busy and bust some of those varmits.
Seeing a few does and small bucks no mature bucks showing up yet. Probably still out near the crop fields.

twtabb

Well my son finally got his first deer. Maybe now 9646C496-A5A2-4164-BD2B-9F3624AC8842.jpeghe can settle down and quit missing them. He shot it with his late grandfathers 30-30.
Western auto stamped on the barrel. Not a big deer but we cleaned it together.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've been seeing more fog than deer lately. Some chasing going on, but young bucks are doing all the chasing. Cameras have not gotten any mature bucks day or night.

psedna

UAEC
Still only small bucks, does - mostly at night...

Looking forward to Sunday and early next week, but could be breezy.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm noticing, larger bucks are beginning to visit the scrapes younger bucks have had open for weeks now. Had one nice buck show on a scrape this afternoon right after 5 PM. Think it's a heavy horn 8 I passed on yesterday. Larger bucks are beginning to shows on cameras.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
For several days now, all I'm seeing is young bucks, from spikes up to 8 points. The does and big bucks must be on winter break. I do see some chasing sign in the roads, done at night. Cell cams are getting the best bucks around midnight, they need to change their schedule.

psedna

UAEC
Got lucky, two does feeding ten steps away sunday afternoon - buck walks in behinbd me ten steps away. I finallyt get my bow up, and with all three heads down - lead doe spooked and he started walking directly away . finally angled at twenty yards. Nine point, 215 lbs approximatley didnt weigh him. Jawbone he is six and a half years old... Best bow buck to date! Some chasing by little bucks and some doe movement sunday am,, but nothing like I was hoping for. Didnt hunt monday came back to work wwaitiing on colder weather before I try to get my second buck - never had only one tag left this early in the rut... I honestly came close to hyper ventilating, never practiced shooting sitting down - but the does would have busted me if I had try to stand. Tought enough just to get bow up off my lap, and then get the bow drawn with them and the buck basically within fifteen yards at most in open pines...

Attachments

• buckbow2021.jpg
    buckbow2021.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 35

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Most everyone hunting in my group have seen chasing. I haven't yet. Couple nice bucks have been taken in the last three days, and a couple missed. I've passed on four 8 point bucks so far, figuring they were 2.5 year olds with good racks. holding out for an older mature buck, no matter the rack. My first buck was an 8 point 195 pounds.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Here it is, the new year and deer movement is nil. Some of my group continues to hunt in the heat, rain and wind. Only one buck has fallen this past week, a nine point. And the hunter is glad I suggested sitting in my stand. I had plenty photo's of the buck this season. I wasn't hunting him, he wasn't on my hit list.......lol.... don't ya just love it when folks have hit list? Actually I have been hoping on something bigger, we have photo's of some real monsters for our area. I need to get back out for the rest of the season, haven't hunted the last four days.