Miller county

mcfay

Yesterday evening was very active with me seeing 20. There were 7 ( one small yearling buck chasing 6 does) in the woods behind me, 6 does on the edge of the woods and 7 ( small yearling buck chasing 5 does in the field and 2 real nice 3 year old 8 pts ). The 2 8points were within 50 yrds of the young buck and does but were more concerned with eating. If they go according to schedule, within 2 weeks the woods should be alive with rut activity. It was hard to pass up one of the 8pts . He had a very tall rack a little out past his ears with 8-9 inch tines. He just looked young and its to early to settle for a 3 year old.

mcfay

.Yesterday evening... I saw 4 bucks ( 2 mature shooters) , 2 two year olds and 9 does. All bucks were actively cruising and one mature ( the largest) was wanting to chase some does but the intensity of full rut is still not here yet. I would think next week should be wide open. I ended up letting the 2nd shooter go trying to get a shot on the largest which was a big pot bellied 8 pt well outside his ears.

twtabb

Saw some nice bucks this weekend. I was in the stand mid day a had a nice eight and a busted up 10 walk by with noses to the ground.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
By Christmas, we were seeing lots of busted up racks, we let em walk.
Never did see a hard rut, just a few young bucks chasing. Maybe a few 3 year olds.

HIGH COUNTRY

Great Season

Rut near early county line did seem to start earlier this year, I actually shot a good eight pt the last week of archery season and he had a strong smell which was surprising to me.

Of course, there was still chasing to the bitter end (and I mean bitter with the weather).

I passed a good eight pt with rifle the last ten days of the season at fifteen yards sitting on the ground (too cold even for me to bowhunt).

Great to hear from you Son!!!

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Most deer seen in one sitting near the Early, Miller Co. line near Lucille Ga was 21 by one of our members. No shooters in the bunch. Most i saw in one sitting was about 10, does with a nice buck chasing. No shot i might add. Most wild hogs seen by me, was at night driving out. The entire road for about 20 yards was covered with hogs of all sizes. Too many hogs folks. Hunt hogs.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
I may look at this different than some. But the way i see Georgia's limit of 2 bucks and 10 does is like this. 10 does are allowed for those who need to take more does to manage their numbers. I see no other reason for anyone to take 10 does. Have read where some wish the doe limit would be reduced. If that happened, areas that need doe numbers reduced, would be in a bind. I feel each place, whether it be a management area, or private lease/property would do best if they evaluated their numbers and managed accordingly. My club at present has a two buck limit, two doe limit. This works for us and has for several years now. Even though our property is long and narrow. We know those hunting around our boundary has no limit, nor are they selective to size or age. Oh, there may be some who think in management terms, but bet it isn't many. We shoot and trap every hog we can. This sow tried to get past my stand one evening, she got a ride to camp.

Attachments

• freshpork.jpg
    freshpork.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 377

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our club has taken out five shoats this past week. Only hundreds more to go. No joke, hogs are taking over many thick areas. Only thinning of timber can drive em out. Nocturnal, and trap smart, most adult hogs will eat bait outside traps, but refuse to go in. So, we have added smaller wire to our traps to catch the pigs who will go in and eat the bait. Of the five, two were shot crossing a road, three caught in a trap. Every club and private land hunter needs to stay on the hogs to keep the numbers down. They run deer off, ruin food plots, farm crops and roads. A forth of our property in in Early co. We stay after the hogs so our deer will remain.

Attachments

• PICT0066.jpg
    PICT0066.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 385

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Nobody here, guess i will go away for another year.

HIGH COUNTRY

Enjoyed Your Posts Recently

Appreciate your recent posts.

Wish I could follow you around the woods for a week and pick your brain.

twtabb

Not seeing any hogs on my Miller county property. I don’t put out much corn, planted some food plots. I think my neighbors put out lots of corn and keep the hogs on their property.

Hunting quail In a few weeks then finish burning.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Our property has lots of swamp, with plenty acorns still falling. Early cold made acorns hang onto the trees. But from the looks of hog sign, they are rooting for worms and roots. Plowing up acres of newly planted pines. Only thing saving the young pines is, they were bedded. The hogs are rooting in the furrows between the beds. Rather not have hogs, even though it's free pork. They are as hard to hunt as nocturnal bucks.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Another one we saved for next season

Attachments

• MFDC9682.jpg
    MFDC9682.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 336

HIGH COUNTRY

Sw ga rain

Rescued jon boat yesterday, had to wade through slough about thirty yards wide eight inches above my knees to retrieve the boat.

Lost one a few years ago, spring creek can really go up quick - dont want to make that mistake again.

SW GA got a ton of rain it appeared.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
5 inch gauge ran over, and it's rained a bunch since that happened, still raining. Report from Mayhaw yesterday at 3 PM, said over 4 inches. Later report around 6 from Donalsonville, said over 6 inches. It's wet folks, bet our swamps has water in em now. Wish they had been wet during deer season. Just went to the dock to check my boats. Bass Tracker high and dry, bilge pump working and batteries up good. Old Orlando Clipper i am using to do some finish work on the dock is full of water, but it wont sink.

Attachments

• IMG_20180204_135314701_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180204_135314701_HDR.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 285

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Look, one of the neighbors bucks has come on our property. lol

Attachments

• PICT0010.jpg
    PICT0010.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 243

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
EZ Go buggy makes dragging hogs and deer easy. Wish i had bought one years ago.

Attachments

• golfcartfor hogs.jpg
    golfcartfor hogs.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 246

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Super, some does and buttons make it through the season. lol, all's good.

Attachments

• MFDC9699.jpg
    MFDC9699.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 225

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Grilled, wild pork shoulder. Is good, but wish we didn't have the wild hogs.

Attachments

• IMG_20180217_160715413_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180217_160715413_HDR.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 212