Millet field and Opening Day question...

biged156

I’ve planted my browntop, proso, and sunflowers the same week for the past 8 years. This year I guess with all the rain the millet is already starting to head out and looks to be dropping... I feel like this is earlier than normal. What’s yalls fields looking like?

Also I know opening day is also the first Saturday but they are saying “to be announced” still. Think it’ll still be the first Saturday?

baddave

i've always thought it was the first sat before labor day and labor day is first monday with a full weekend ... and i don't plant millet until july 4th week.. it's approx 60 ish days

biged156

i've always thought it was the first sat before labor day and labor day is first monday with a full weekend ... and i don't plant millet until july 4th week.. it's approx 60 ish days

Yeah it’s usually the Labor Day weekend. I plant mine a tad earlier so I can burn strips in it.

Jellyhead Joe

I wish that dove season opened on Labor Day weekend every year. However, it always opens on the first Saturday in September which is September 1st this year. That means that in 2019, dove season will open the Saturday after Labor Day. I think the reason that the season opener is listed as, “to still be announced “, is because the DNR is discussing whether to allow hunters to begin hunting at sunrise on opening day, or begin hunting at noon.

Souhternhunter17

Have the same problem with one of my millet fields. Nothing you can do about it really, hard to complain about too much rain when other years it was bone dry. I just hope it stays green through this month and we’ll start cutting ans burning strips in August. I saw they released the dates today, no surprises the opener is on the first... but I couldnt find if they are sticking with the start at noon on the opener or are they going to allow shooting at sunrise? If anyone can find the answer to that...

Attachments

• 1BDC6C26-D733-4128-AE59-B9E7EDE9C6F0.jpeg
    1BDC6C26-D733-4128-AE59-B9E7EDE9C6F0.jpeg
    279 KB · Views: 41
  • CC1EB06B-2334-49D3-8B0D-DB8F62285273.jpeg
    CC1EB06B-2334-49D3-8B0D-DB8F62285273.jpeg
    287.9 KB · Views: 42