Mineral Sites

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
What have you tried that works and how long do they usually last? I would like to set some up for camera sites!

TJay

I use a mineral called "Lucky Buck" from tractor supply. The deer love it and once a site is established a bucket can refresh two or three sites in the spring and they'll use it all summer.

toolmkr20

I like Black Magic. I put some out in the same spot every year and they hammer it. Next time I am at the lease I'll get some pics and post to this thread.

formula1

Daily Bible Verse Organizer
For the record, a mineral site is legal to hunt over where I'm putting them. But I want it for seeing trail cam pictures of bucks in the area. Thanks so far for the legit responses.

furtaker

I use regular cheap trace mineral salt and the deer love it. It's getting a little late in the year to start one now though.

shdw633

Formula1 regardless of what you use for your mineral site you should at least put down a trophy rock on the top of it. Reason being is the rain washes much of what you put out into the ground, which is good but it can take a deer some time to find it and then take to it and you're looking for pics now. They take real good to the trophy rocks and they last quite some time. I am getting 30 to 60 pics a day off mine right now and I just put it out a couple of weeks ago; however, pretty soon that number is going to go way down because they won't need it as much as they do now. If your looking for just pics you can dig a hole, fill it with rock salt cover it with half a container of grape flavored sugar koolaid, cover it with dirt and then place the trophy rock on that dirt pile and cover it with the remaining koolaid in your container. Don't worry about covering it with water, the rain will eventually do that and you are after the smell as far as the koolaid is concerned.

Fork Horn

Ive used Trace Mineral blocks for years and keep them out year around. Naturally the deer don’t come to it in the late fall or winter, but come to it all spring and summer. We’ve always set our blocks on a stump the the deer will lick the block and stump as well as paw around the stump.

lancek742

I'm no lawyer nor GW so can someone enlighten me how it's illegal to hunt over please. I'm not trying to stir anything up just trying to get clarity.

shdw633

I'm no lawyer nor GW so can someone enlighten me how it's illegal to hunt over please. I'm not trying to stir anything up just trying to get clarity.

It's not in my area, even when baiting was illegal we hunted mineral sites but they couldn't be anything but saturated dirt, no sign of powders or salt could be seen. Now it doesn't matter....where I'm at anyway.

XJfire75

Trophy Rock and a little liquid Black Magic Deer Cane does wonders this time of year!