Mississippi and swallow tail kites...

oldguy

Anybody seeing Mississippi kites around? We usually see them here in town over the house, at the river, while fishing the creek and so forth but last year didn't see any and this year so far haven't seen any. This is not the best place to see the beautiful swallow tail kite, but they're not around either. Anybody seeing these guys anywhere?

oldguy

Several years ago my brother and I watched several Mississippi kites putting on a show diving and catching high flying dragon flies over a big open field on a wma. Entertaining!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
3 weeks ago we saw 30 or 40 hunting over a grown up pasture about 15 miles north of Tallahassee. They were putting on a show.

Bigtimber

Seen several what I call split tail kites around here this year. Seem like more this year I have seen more than usual. They always catch my eye. Pretty birds.

oldguy

Semper Fi right back at you, Oldguy. Abrams tank crewman from '96 through '04.
I was trained in mortars but never touched a mortar after that. First Recon Btn. in Viet Nam toting an M-60. Stateside 106 mm recoil-less rifle outfit for a year and finished up in 2nd Recon Btn. Ran into a guy at a Viet Nam era chopper fly in last year (80+) who was my company Gunny at 2nd Recon!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nic, you ever see swallow-tails up your way along the creek?

I`ve never seen em around here. I did see one in downtown Attapulgus one time, and they`re always a common sight from Blountstown on down to the coast.

Mexican Squealer

Had 20-30 swallowtails and Mississippi Kites feeding over a field I was bushogging yesterday. I can watch their show for hours on end. Amazing how they catch insects with their talons and feed themselves in mid air. Bout my favorite bird I believe...

Buckfever

I've been seeing a pair of swallow tail kite's nesting behind my work place in the Camilla GA area for the last 7 year's. Most year's they have raised 2. I've seen them in the Hartsfield area for the last 5 years and up until then I've never seen one, been living there over 50 years. Watched one go after a cat bird about a week ago. I'm not sure if he caught it or not, but it looked like a guided missile going after it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've only seen swallowtails in a couple places in my life, south GA around Abbeville, and lowcountry SC in the Four Hole Swamp. Very fascinating birds.

oldguy

GREAT!
Thanks.
I've only seen swallowtails in a couple places in my life, south GA around Abbeville, and lowcountry SC in the Four Hole Swamp. Very fascinating birds.
Yep, the first one I ever saw was in SC Lowcountry at the SCDNR Webb Center.