Mississippi and swallow tail kites...

drtyTshrt

Swallow tails and Mississippi kites in Chatham county since about April. Back when it was hot a few weeks ago they were everywhere catching the dragon flies.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I meant to tell you, Steve, I`ve been seeing Mississippi kites around here right regular. And near about right on schedule.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I've ever seen a Mississippi kite.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
How big are those, Nic?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
How big are those, Nic?

They`re about the size of a male red shouldered hawk, but leaner, with longer slimmer wings. They`re built more like a falcon than a hawk.

When soaring, the silhouette is unmistakable.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I see both swallowtails and Mississippi kites often; the Mississippi kites can be seen soaring over my midtown neighborhood about 2 miles from City Hall. At one time it was thought that less than 2000 swallowtails were nesting in the SE. I see them often enough to think there's probably more. I see them along the Savannah, Ogeechee and Canoochee Rivers. Years ago Ga. Power donated the use of high boom trucks to raise observers above the canopy of the Altamaha River near Darien to count numbers. They are beautiful birds and are larger than I thought. At river landings signage was posted to report sightings of the swallowtails.
https://www.audubon.org/field-guide/bird/swallow-tailed-kite
Gil

Last edited:

oldguy

Yep, in good years you can see them all over Albany. There are lots of drainage ditches hence lots of dragon flies = kite food!

Lukikus2

Just got this pic a little bit ago. Most I've seen were about 50 or 60 in Hog Valley when fishing the Oklawaha.IMG_2587.PNG

buckpasser

I’m glad I read this thread. I’ve seen the Mississippi kites for years and always believed them to be some type of falcon. The swallowtails made a big splash in Brooks and Thomas counties around 15 or 18 years ago. I’m not saying they weren’t around earlier, but it seems everyone was talking about them around that time as the first time they’d encountered them and how interesting they are. I’ve seen them every year including this one in decent numbers. Neat critters.

Them, ringneck doves, and the blackbellied tree ducks are the birds that are now plentiful here that I grew up without.

Lukikus2

I’m glad I read this thread. I’ve seen the Mississippi kites for years and always believed them to be some type of falcon. The swallowtails made a big splash in Brooks and Thomas counties around 15 or 18 years ago. I’m not saying they weren’t around earlier, but it seems everyone was talking about them around that time as the first time they’d encountered them and how interesting they are. I’ve seen them every year including this one in decent numbers. Neat critters.

Them, ringneck doves, and the blackbellied tree ducks are the birds that are now plentiful here that I grew up without.

Never did I see a duck in a tree until a few years ago.

Turkeytider

Swallow tails and Mississippi kites in Chatham county since about April. Back when it was hot a few weeks ago they were everywhere catching the dragon flies.

Haven`t seen any swallowtails but plenty of Mississippi`s here in Pooler outside of Savannah. Watched one this afternoon dining in flight on something. Probably a dragonfly. Fascinating to watch them fly IMO.

Turkeytider

When we were living in the Florida panhandle, one day out in the yard a swallowtail came down no more than 20 ft from me. The lizard that was crossing the road never made it! The kite never slowed down...just zoomed in and was gone in one motion!

drtyTshrt

Haven`t seen any swallowtails but plenty of Mississippi`s here in Pooler outside of Savannah. Watched one this afternoon dining in flight on something. Probably a dragonfly. Fascinating to watch them fly IMO.
I am in Pooler as well. I have seen three swallow tails so far this year one seemed to be a juvenile perched in the top of a tree squawking for the parents to feed it.

oldguy

Paddled on the Muckalee with kids at camp at Chehaw. Saw no Mississippi kites over all that water and lowland forest.
But Nick and I can stop worrying about the demise of the big red wasps. I found 'em! They're safely ensconced on the Muckalee. Advice to the canoers, "Stay out of the bushes!" Nobody got stung.