Miter Saw

Bones

I too am getting ready to install either laminate or vinyl flooring. I was reading the thread on installing laminate flooring and for cutting it was suggested that a miter saw would make the job much easier. I know very little about what size and what brand of miter saw to buy. I would like those experienced with miter saws and their use for cutting laminate flooring to advise me on which one to purchase. I am sure I will have other questions so thanks in advance.

Bones

lonewolf247

I’ve had good luck with Ridgid and Dewalt. Actually prefer them in that order. As far as one to cut the flooring, you need to know how wide the planks are. I’ve used a 12” miter saw to do a few flooring jobs, and one of them it wasn’t able to cut completely through the width, I had to use my table saw. I think the 12” saw will cut ~7.5”. Any wider than that, you might want to buy a “sliding miter saw”.

For a little more money, you might want to buy one anyhow, for other future projects, it’s more versatile.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Unless you are going to need one doing other projects or just want one "just because" you might want to rent one. I have a 10"Craftsman I have had for 35 years and remodeled 1 house and interior trim on about 60 houses.

treemanjohn

Banned
Do you want an inexpensive one because you're not using it that often or would you prefer a nicer one that you will have forever? I have a very nice DeWalt sliding miter that I use all the time but they are expensive. Harbor freight has very good values in miter saws. You might want to check them out and sign up for their mailing list. They give 20% off coupons all the time

T-N-T

Have used dewalt 12 inch for a living for 20 years. Will not consider another brand unless they just plain change drastically. Great saws

BeerThirty

I bought the 10-inch (non-sliding) Ridgid specifically to do my laminate floor, and it's an awesome saw. Think I paid $179 on sale at Home Depot. Don't get wrong, I'm a huge Ridgid fan and most of my tools are Ridgid, but I kind of wish I would have bought something else. My friend just picked up the 7-inch Ryobi sliding Miter for a hundo on sale.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-10-Amp-7-1-4-in-Sliding-Miter-Saw-TSS701/301920095

Boy that little thing is neat, takes up less space (lighter too) and with the sliding feature I think you would get more flexibility out of it. Also, keep in mind that Ryobi is manufactured by the same company as Ridgid, it's just marketed more as a consumer brand.

Either way, a good miter saw is a great investment. Once you finish your floor, you can use it for your base moulding and quarter round. I find I'm using the miter for lots of odds and ends project too.

Also, as I said in my other post on laminate flooring, pay the up money for the Diablo blade designed specifically for laminate flooring. It's well worth it.

660griz

Have used dewalt 12 inch for a living for 20 years. Will not consider another brand unless they just plain change drastically. Great saws
I don't use mine for a living but, have had it for many years. 12" Sliding, compound miter with stand.
Love it.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
I bought a refurbished “Rigid” 10 inch sliding miter saw a while back. Came with a 1 year warranty. So far so good. Pa in law has a 12 inch DeWalt, also a great saw. I would recommend at least a 10 inch sliding saw in either of these brands. May as well get a jig saw too. For cutting around doors and floor vents.

Gator89

I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw at Harbor Freight to use to install laminate flooring, it did everything required. I eventually gave it to a neighbor that was installing flooring in his home, he grinned like a mule eating briars.

If you do carpenter work for a living or are a serious woodworker, buy a DeWalt or other high dollar brand.
If you are going to put laminate in your house, maybe drag the saw out once or twice a year to build a shooting house or whatever, by the cheap one.

Gator89

Take the money you save on the cheap miter saw and buy RotoZip with the attachment in the picture to cut around door frames. If working by yourself, a laminate sheer that you can use indoors will save dozens of ups and downs and going outside. Otherwise, you may awaken muscles in you legs you forgot existed.

1551966931335.png

hayseed_theology

I can't remember a time in my life when I was kicking myself for not buying a cheaper power tool. On the other hand, I can remember a few times when I sure wished I'd bought a nicer one. These days, my theory is to buy a nice piece of equipment that will do the job well and last a long time.

Ten years down the road you will be glad you bought the Dewalt miter saw over the Black and Decker stuff.

When it comes to miter saws, go for a sliding compound miter saw. The sliding feature significantly increases the cutting capacity. Also, get a good miter saw stand to go with it.

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

If you need it for just your one job, just buy a cheap one. I got one your welcome to borrow for that. No need for a fancy saw for that one project. All you doing is straight cross cuts.

Cmp1

BANNED
I can't remember a time in my life when I was kicking myself for not buying a cheaper power tool. On the other hand, I can remember a few times when I sure wished I'd bought a nicer one. These days, my theory is to buy a nice piece of equipment that will do the job well and last a long time.

Ten years down the road you will be glad you bought the Dewalt miter saw over the Black and Decker stuff.

When it comes to miter saws, go for a sliding compound miter saw. The sliding feature significantly increases the cutting capacity. Also, get a good miter saw stand to go with it. Not
Always lots of uses for a good mitre saw,,,,you can cut larger capacity if done carefully,,,,