MOJO- New Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

marknga

GONetwork Member
If you get a chance to go ahead and get the new Tom Petty album "MOJO".

Fantastic album, something for just about everybody.

Some reviews:
TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS, MOJO (REPRISE)
****1/2 (Four and a half stars)

By Kevin O'Hare

The next time you hear someone say that veteran rockers are incapable of still
making great music, hold up this album as evidence to the contrary.

Assuming there's a sane jury, you'll win the argument. But better yet, give it a
spin, again and again and again and you will almost certainly fall in love with
Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers' "Mojo."

There's no logical reason for this troupe, 30-plus years into their career to be making
something as completely riveting and infectious as "Mojo." Yet this is the album for
the summer of 2010 and arguably the best of Petty's career. Still have doubts? Get
in the car. Flip on "The Trip to Pirate's Cove," or the Allman-eque twin-lead guitar
propelled "First Flash of Freedom." Press play again.

The set is getting a lot of advance billing as a blues-based disc, and yes, there are
definitely plenty of blues elements to be found in cuts like "Takin' My Time," or the
slide-driven "Candy." But it's also steeped in Petty's Southern roots, free flowing and
furious, filled with biting lyrics like the references to Thomas Jefferson's midnight
creeping in "Jefferson's Jericho Blues," through the reggae rythmic splashes in
"Don't Pull Me Over," to the hustlin' jive of "Let Yourself Go," and the guitar snarling
first radio cut "I Should Have Known It." And occasionally Petty and company
give a nod and a wink to their own deep past, resurrecting that vintage "Breakdown"
flavor with the punishing slow groove of "Lover's Touch."

The album is being released in several formats, including standard CD, download bundled
with tour tickets, Blue-ray audio and as a 180 gram double vinyl set.

and in Rolling Stone:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/reviews/album/17385/116900

snookdoctor

They still rock, but are getting close to renaming the group to Tom Petty and the Hipbreakers.
We will be losing Many of the best groups ever in the not so distant future.

DSGB

With satellite radio, I don't buy many CDs anymore, but I'll be getting this one. :cool: