Monday Topwater on Lanier w/pics & video

Scout'nStripers

I've been spending most of my days in the shop lately in an attempt to beat the heat but I still get the urge to hit the water for a little topwater fun. Even though the surface temps are very warm right now I can still call a few up out of the deep brush. The bass really really don't want to come to the surface right now but if they think there's a sure easy meal up on the surface they will come up very briefly. Monday morning we got a little breeze on the water which provided the surface cover I needed to make the topwater work. Just a little surface chop distorts the surface enough to confuse the fish into biting. There were probably a lot of different topwater baits that would have worked but I chose the Whopper Plopper yesterday. It made some noise and created a lot of surface disruption which worked well. It's very hot out there right now but if you can stand the heat the fish are biting with this approaching full moon. Here's a few pics and the video that explains how I caught them and a little of the fishing action.

MAH00424 (5) (5).jpgMAH00424 (5) (6).jpgMAH00424 (5) (2).jpgMAH00424 (5) (4).jpg

Last edited:

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I'll be out on Lanier again all weekend but from the bank again. How do you call spots up out of deep water like that? I've heard of guys being able to get the school to come up and hit topwater and waking a spinnerbait in 30+ft of water

Scout'nStripers

I'll be out on Lanier again all weekend but from the bank again. How do you call spots up out of deep water like that? I've heard of guys being able to get the school to come up and hit topwater and waking a spinnerbait in 30+ft of water
This time of year it's very hard to call them up offshore. If the wind is blowing and there is some chop on the water I place the boat up wind of the deep brushpiles. I cast the Whopper Plopper down wind and bring it back against the grain over the brush. That creates more water displacement and noise from the bait. These spotted bass are always easier to fool with a topwater bait when there is some chop on the water over the brush in the summer.

Papa Bear

Good post Jim! Had some luck up the Chestatee River last week with the WP. Caught a couple smaller fish but still fun on a topwater! Had a big Gar slashing at it too! Once I saw what kind of fish it was had to get it back to the boat real quick before he stole my lure.

Scout'nStripers

Good post Jim! Had some luck up the Chestatee River last week with the WP. Caught a couple smaller fish but still fun on a topwater! Had a big Gar slashing at it too! Once I saw what kind of fish it was had to get it back to the boat real quick before he stole my lure.
Thanks PB. Was your whopper plopper a white color? I had a big gar try and snatch mine too this week. I know those gar like to chase anything white and I was using the white one. I had pretty good luck with the whopper plopper last year in the late summer/early fall so I've been giving it a try more frequently lately. Still a little early but I found a few blanks and I'm going to try making my own this year instead of buying anymore. I made 2 basic colors so far. We'll see what happens.whopper.jpgwhopper1.jpg

Papa Bear

Looks really good there Jim! Yes a white 110 size is was what I was using. In fact everything I have been using from my big 3/8 oz rooster tails to 1 oz white bucktail jig has been working best for me lately for hot water summer spots

Scout'nStripers

Looks really good there Jim! Yes a white 110 size is was what I was using. In fact everything I have been using from my big 3/8 oz rooster tails to 1 oz white bucktail jig has been working best for me lately for hot water summer spots
Thanks PB. That white roostertail is a great option. Had a buddy out with me 2 Sundays ago and when he loaded up his gear he had a rod with a white roostertail tied on. Second stop of the morning he whacks a nice surfacing bass with it. He caught a few more on it that morning just making random casts around brush. It's a great option when they are feeding on the small stuff for sure.