Montana spring bear

Huntmaster2

This may not be what you are looking for but Hunt Talk has a lot of people that may could help out. They won't give away any spots, but they will help you out in a ton of other ways.

Budda

Spring bear in Idaho if that helps

DWBMontana

Don't come to early, lol, our spring and your spring are way different.....a lot of Montana is getting snow today. Bear behave a bit like cattle this time of year, they look for green grass, and of course winter kills. I have seen them graze grass for quite a while.

Limbhanger2881

Later is best. If you go to early you may not be able to get to your spots due to it being snowed in. Sometimes you can not get into the high country until June. It snowed the past two years on the last weekend in MAY.

Bobby Bigtime

I have lived here in Montana all of my life. Spring bear is one of my favorite hunts my brother and I camp and look for bears every year. Pick an area that has no quotas if your coming from out of state. The isolated ranges in the central part of the state can be good but many have quotas. The northwest part is probably the best option. Check with fwp they can help. Good luck

Budda

NW corner has great bear and you can spot and stalk easy. Jist make sure you know the difference between a griz and a black bear. Some of the Black Bear are chocolate, cinnomon and red colored. They aint always black. However, Griz can be found in the area to and you aint gonna wanna know what happens to you if you kill one accidently

Bobby Bigtime

Yes there are grizzlers in many areas of the state all bear hunters now must pass a bear identification test with the fwp. Very good point about color phases as ursus americanus is not always black. Much of the northwest corner offers good glassing opportunities. And quotas are not an issue in many districts up there..areas with quotas can be excellent. Areas without quotas tend to have more bears. oh and some black bears besides the colors Budda mentioned can even be blonde. One area we like to hunt has them like that with cinnamon heads. Really cool.

Last edited: