More deer tags????

treadwell

So you have a big lease, monitor what's killed, but factor all the small tracts of land around the area, 5-10 acres that uncle Bob or grandma owns, then add the 2-3 people that hunt that land. When they kill one or two deer, it adds up really quick how many deer in a square mile are being killed. Spoiler.....the deer don't stay on one piece of property unless its really huge.

Here is a tip.

Deer hide, and they hide better than any other animal in the wild. Deer also know where they are not messed with, it makes it easier for them to hide.

I don't care who you are, or how many trail cams you have, or how little or how much land you have to hunt and survey your deer...........

You do not know all of them. The older a buck gets the more nocturnal and illusive he becomes. And old does are slicker than old bucks.

just the facts.....

Opinion worth nothing and never intended to hurt anybody's feelings....

buckpasser

Here is a tip.

Deer hide, and they hide better than any other animal in the wild. Deer also know where they are not messed with, it makes it easier for them to hide.

I don't care who you are, or how many trail cams you have, or how little or how much land you have to hunt and survey your deer...........

You do not know all of them. The older a buck gets the more nocturnal and illusive he becomes. And old does are slicker than old bucks.

just the facts.....

Opinion worth nothing and never intended to hurt anybody's feelings....

I used to believe in their hiding ability. At this point after many years of deer hunting fairly small parcels surrounded by fairly small parcels (sub 1000 AC) I feel like pretty much every deer steps into the line of fire every season. Some may disagree, and I realize there are exceptions, but it takes a really big block to keep any particular deer from being either shot or passed by someone.

Over 85% of your deer herd lives 1 1/2 years old or less. It's not the young dumb stupid deer that get a chance to learn how to hide and survive.

The fact is the older a deer gets the more nocturnal they become, doe or buck. And after about 3 1/2 years old, they don't get caught much running around in the daylight.

I know people who are "Hog hunting" with thermal imaging optics, one of the first things they say........."where did all these deer come from?"

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
How did you process it? Pack it on ice, bring it home and do it yourself.

Lashed a horizontal meat pole across two trees next to where he fell then lashed the quarters to it. Then carved all the meat off the bones right into game bags which we hung overnight. For the ride home (we drove) all the game bags went into coolers with dry ice and the meat was half frozen when we got home. I processed everything myself at home except for the grind pile, I was afraid my grinder couldn't handle the connective tissue. I ended up with 250 lbs of packaged meat when it was all said and done.