Most consistent state for mallards?

jdgator

Outside of the Dakotas, which state in the central / MS flyways most consistently holds mallards? Some people tell me Western Missouri is the new Arkansas. I have also heard its Kansas or Oklahoma. I personally don't haven't hunted above Missouri or further west so my experience is limited.

kingfish

If you can find a place where southern Illinois, Kentucky and Missouri all come together, that's where I'd look. Been pretty reliable over the years. Have a private land connection, but there is public land and commercial places in those areas.

ji0187

I have killed a lot of mallards in kansas the last 5-7 years but I dont know that it's the right answer.
I always thought arkansas would be the answer but I dont know

across the river

If you are just trying to kill mallards, I would go to Oklahoma. You can kill five and I have seen it out there where you could kill five mallards, and have a tough time seeing anything else to shoot to get your sixth duck.

jdgator

10 years ago I would said Arkansas. But I believe short stopping, pressure, and changes in weather patterns have made Arkansas less reliable. You really need all the conditions to align for a good hunt in Arkansas, Mississippi, and so on.

across the river

10 years ago I would said Arkansas. But I believe short stopping, pressure, and changes in weather patterns have made Arkansas less reliable. You really need all the conditions to align for a good hunt in Arkansas, Mississippi, and so on.

I think it depends on what you mean by "consistently holds." There are still more mallards killed each year in Arkansas than any other state, by far. It isn't even close.

hrstille

I think it depends on what you mean by "consistently holds." There are still more mallards killed each year in Arkansas than any other state, by far. It isn't even close.
That's because Arkansas gets hunted to death. Its the poster state for duck hunting so people flock to Arkansas. If you want to base it on # of birds killed, you also need to account for the number of hunters.

hrstille

If you want big numbers of mallards, Arkansas is behind several states. Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma all hold tons of mallards. The hunting pressure is way less in these states and they have tons of food for birds. Its common to find corn or milo fields holding 20,000+ birds in any of those 3 states. Hit Nebraska and Kansas in Nov & Dec then drop down to Oklahoma in Jan. Find you a small loaf pond near a big feed and get ready for a show.