Most dont believe it

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
But I have counted from 3 to 400 turkeys in one group on my lease several times. It is hard to believe until you see it, but when I tell people they just don't buy it. I have a couple of friends from Georgia that saw them in Deer season. I got pics on my cell phone of some of them, but it wont get a third. Come gun season they are hard to find. Anybody want to bow hunt them just PM me.

Huntinfool

400 at a time? In KY?

I'm sure you've got a bunch. Hundreds even. I suppose it's possible. But I don't know a single person who has ever seen a flock of 400 eastern wild turkeys.

It would be hard for 400 turkeys to just disappear when the season opens. I'd be glad to drive up and help you find them though.

deast1988

I have counted a fall flock of 149birds in Newton county ga. I counted the whole flock as I eased through a cow pasture I was deer hunting one of the coolest sightings I've seen from a deer stand.

blt152

I've seen massive winter flocks when I lived in Ohio. It almost seemed like every bird in the county had converged on this one picked cornfield.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I have counted a fall flock of 149birds in Newton county ga. I counted the whole flock as I eased through a cow pasture I was deer hunting one of the coolest sightings I've seen from a deer stand.

Yep, Dad (RIP) and I have lost count on well over 50 in an equestrian facility pasture in the very southern tip of Clayton Co. right on the edge of Henry Co.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see flocks of 50 or more here pretty regularly.

Jack Ryan

We used to see big flocks around here in S. Indiana to.

Then the coyotes moved in and the state opened up all day hunting and fall hunts, and made it legal to shoot up the hens.

Big flocks? Ha! Lucky if you see two birds at once now.

Stroker

It's the truth. Used to live and farm within 30 miles of KyDawg. Quit farming in 84, moved to Ga in 91. When I left in 91 I had never seen or heard a wild turkey on the 1000's of acres of family land I had access to in Tn or Ky. Somewhere around 2001 I was back there deer hunting the family farm and heard turkeys fly up right before dark, slipped down to the creek bottom and busted maybe a dozen from their roost. Within 10 years that farm and several others in the area I hunted were covered up with turkey. On a good morning it was no problem to have 8 or more birds answer a call. During afternoon scouting of pastures and ag fields it was no problem to see flocks of 30 to 50 birds. I know of one 50+ acre creek bottom ag field where it was not uncommon to see a flock of 100 or more several times a week in the afternoon. I haven't hunted that farm or others in the area since 2013 but I feel sure the birds are still there because my son still lives on that farm and tells me about all the turkey he sees when deer hunting. I know the area where KyDawg lives and I used to live, it is very capable of supporting high populations of turkey, nothing but ag fields, pasture, hardwood creek bottoms, and no pine plantations or clear cuts within 100 miles.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
We have seen a flock on one side of the river that was around 300 and went over a hill and there were that many more on my side of the river. I have a couple of friends that come up here at the start of gun season every year and they limit out most every time.

The mtn man

I believe it.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We have seen a flock on one side of the river that was around 300 and went over a hill and there were that many more on my side of the river. I have a couple of friends that come up here at the start of gun season every year and they limit out most every time.

I have a friend who owns a farm down around Clarkesville not far from you, and it is working alive with turkeys.